4: 50/50

300 reads guys? Whoaaaaa I love you 😍
*TRIGGER WARNING*

Everything was a whir. I wasn't dead. I knew I wasn't. Because I was still alive. I wasn't awake. But definitely still alive. But stuck in sleep. Oh. Oh dear.
I mentally facepalmed. Great. Something had gone wrong with my brain, or even with the anaesthesia, and I was stuck in a coma. Until suddenly, I saw light and a picture in front of me. Except it wasn't now. It was a few weeks ago.

Karin was standing over me, clearly drunk as usual, and the memory came flooding back. Soon Derek came in too. Not Dr Shepherd Derek. My so-called parent. Dad. Ha.
'So, kid,' Karin said, pushing my head down onto my pile of blankets on the office floor, 'Keep quiet this time, okay, or there'll be no food until you go to your little friend's on Saturday. Get it?'
I nodded, and she was gone. Only Derek remained, smiling and blowing rings of cigarette smoke. He smelt of whisky. Again.
'Soooooooo,' he slurred, swaying, 'How's my pretty little thing?'
I shut my eyes tight. There was no point running. Or hiding. I just had to bear it...
'Lola? Lola? Can you hear me?'
I heard Dr Grey-Shepherd's voice breakthrough the trance and I returned to the blackness.
Dr Robbins' voice came too. 'Lola, if you can hear me, I want you to wiggle your fingers. And if you can't do that, wiggle your toes or your lips or something.'
I did my best, but I couldn't. I just couldn't move. It was like I was encased in something with only sound coming through.
'She's not responding to words, Derek.'
'I know, but not many coma patients respond this quickly to sound, even if they can hear us. In fact, she probably can hear us, she just can't move.'
I made out a sigh from someone.
'Dr Shepherd, any further instructions? Or just keep her under observation?'
'Get an intern to observe. She'll be okay. It's extremely unlikely she'll code, and she'll probably take between 24 hours and a couple of weeks to wake up, really.'
'I'll keep an eye on her,' said Dr Torres, calmly, 'I've got nothing for half an hour, then I'll get an intern on her.'
I heard the rest leave the room and listened to Dr Torres' heavy breathing.
'Okay then, sweetie,' she took a deep breath and I felt her squeeze my hand.
'You're going to be fine. You'll wake up and be happy. You know, I heard Meredith and Der... Dr Shepherd were talking about adopting another kid, they've already got a baby who's like, biologically theirs and and a gorgeous little girl who they adopted. So I asked them, and they said maybe they could see if you wanted to join their family? But you know, that can't happen if you don't wake up. So please just try. You've been through a lot, I get that, but come on, kid. It doesn't have to be today, just damn wake up.'
I felt her let go of my hand and heard her heavy footsteps as she left my room.
Voices came from outside. The door snapped shut but I could just make out a few people talking through the glass of the window that overlooked the front desk.
'So, Dr Shepherd, how long do you think it'll be before she wakes up? Days, weeks?' Dr Robbins' voice came drifting through.
'I really can't say,' Dr Shepherd replied, stonily, 'But with patients like these, probably more like a couple of days. If she's not awake within a week, she probably won't wake up.'
'What?' Dr Grey-Shepherd's unusually harsh tones came through, 'She has to wake up! Is there... some sort of... scale you can put it on? You know, like a percentage that she'll wake up?'
'It really depends on time. It'll decrease as time goes on. If she's not awake after tomorrow, I'd say it's 50/50, but I can't be sure.'
I tried desperately once more to move.
Nothing.