10: Worry

'What if I don't get a home?' I asked Hope frantically a few days after my transfer.
'What do you mean?' She asked curiously, poking at her overly mushy baked potato with a few measly beans sprinkled over it.
'I don't have a family,' I said, 'What if I don't ever have one?'
She mused for a moment. 'Families are over-rated anyway,' was the only response she could conjure up, 'Mine sucks, to be honest.'
I rolled my eyes. Hope was a really good listener, possibly because of the whole confined-to-a-bed thing, but damn she was bad at advice and comfort.
Dr Shepherd chose that moment to stride in, flicking his hair dramatically. I heard a desperately annoying bleach-blonde seventeen year old (who's name was 'Lilibella- call me Bella, it means beautiful in Italian' she'd said to me, a half-Italian) giggle and Hope and I glared at her.
'Hey there, Hope,' he stood between our beds, 'Any idea when your parents are coming in today?'
'Not sure,' she said, 'But they always turn up at some point before lunch usually, so they should be here very soon.'
He nodded and turned to me.
'Right then, Lola,' he said, 'We're going to do some scans, and then if you're good to go, we can let you out tomorrow morning.'
I bit my lip. 'Where?'
'Pardon?'
'Where are you sending me? I'm not going home, so where?'
He shook his head. 'The social services woman's coming to pick you up tomorrow if all's good. I'm afraid that's all I know.'
I sighed. 'Ugh.'
He beckoned to a guy behind him who brought in a wheelchair. I raised my eyebrows at Dr Shepherd.
'Hospital policy,' he winked, and I heard Call Me Bella giggle again. Hope and I exchanged glances and I lowered myself into the chair.
The guy wheeling the chair, who Dr Shepherd referred to as 'Kev', remained silent as we travelled down the corridor to the MRI scanner. We passed the A&E and my heart skipped a beat. There was Dr Grey-Shepherd there with Zola, who apparently had something reminiscent of flu which was making her cough a lot and cry even more, a few random old guys, and my adoptive parents Karin and Derek.

Wait. Karin? Derek?

I glance at Dr Shepherd and bite my lip, trying not to cry. I don't think they've noticed me.
'What is it?' He asked, 'Are you okay?'
'It's them, Dr Shepherd,' I whispered, 'I was adopted by them and they... they hurt me. Don't make me go back, please! Please don't!'
He shook his head and took my hand as I was wheeled past the A&E and all risk of them seeing me was gone. 'I promise I will keep you safe from them, okay?'

I nodded, but I still couldn't help worrying about why on earth they were here. Surely not for me?

There you go guys! I'm so, so sorry for not updating in time but unfortunately I'm super busy... and whenever I do have time, I forget. However, updates will be more frequent than this usually. Thanks for reading! Much love- C xx