22: The Beginning of the End

The chronology is getting tricky to write with, as in the UK we're mid-season 12. Just go with it, I've decided not to care about who's still there and who isn't any more, although don't worry, stuff will still make sense! Much love- C xx

It was in total silence that Hope ran towards me and fell into my arms as I sat in my bed a week after the awful event. Today was the funeral, and Hope had said she'd stop by before she left. Dr Grey had agreed to take me later on. She was now up and about again after the incident which had left her out of work for so long, and since she wasn't back at work yet, she had come to visit me and the other kids on the ward every day, which we all loved. Little Ellis, Bailey and Zola could still go to hospital daycare whenever she liked, and since it was a Saturday there was no school, so she arrived early to drop them off and get a cab with me to the church at which the funeral was being held. Originally, I hadn't been sure I wanted to go, but Meredith had persuaded me that I'd regret it if I didn't go.

Hope hugged me goodbye silently as Dr Grey entered the ward, already wrapped up in her fluffy duffel coat and scarf to brave the winter weather. Now both of us were fully functional in every way, we revelled in the simplest things- and getting into the cab, she flashed a real, warm smile at me.
'I've been at the hospital a year.' I said, stolidly, as the driver pulled out of the parking lot.
'A year?' Dr Grey stared at me. 'It doesn't seem like that long.'
'It does to me,' I half-smiled, 'It suddenly occurred to me that I've really got nowhere to go. I know as well as anyone that the hospital keeps finding excuses to keep me-'
'Lola!'
'You know they do, Dr Grey. Honestly, it's been more of a home to me than I've ever had. But I need to move on. It's so dull being in the same four white walls day in, day out. And now...' I trailed off, 'Now he's... gone, I've got no one there.'
'You have us.'
I smiled at her, genuinely this time. 'I'm sixteen. I can't pretend to be one of the adults.'
She stared at me for a moment, before shaking her head and relaxing into her seat.
'What?'
'Nothing,' she glanced at me, then fixed her gaze outside the window. After a few silent moments, she turned back to me. 'What do you want to do when you're older?'
I shrugged. 'I'm not even gonna graduate high school, I've been in hospital so long. Its pretty much McDonalds for the rest of my days, if I ever get out of that godforsaken-'
'Don't talk like that,' she said, before pulling up something on her phone. 'Why don't you do online school? That way you can graduate, and stay in hospital until they find an adoptive family for you.'
'I suppose.'
She threw an arm around me, and I buried my face in her shoulder. 'I miss him.'
'I know you do, sweetie. Believe me, I know how it feels.'