24: Open Doors

Now writing from the current point, at the end of season 12 as it finally finished in the UK! Updates should be more frequent now as I'm nearing the end of exam season (woo) and have a long summer ahead of me! As ever, thanks for reading! Much love- C xx

'Hey, Lola,' Dr Grey poked her head around the door, before walking quickly across the ward, 'I haven't got much time, but would you like to come home with me tonight and play with the kids. Amelia's obviously not living there any more, and Maggie's got some stuff to do in the lab, and I've got a long shift today. And I'm on call, so if I had to dash out, I'd be stuck. So, would you?'
I grinned nervously. 'I don't have any more experience with kids than playing with my little cousins,' I said, 'but I'd love to.'
She smiled. 'Okay. See you later.'

As darkness fell on Seattle, the rain started pouring down and Meredith came along to the ward with the kids in tow in the evening. I joined her, letting one of the nurses know where I was going, and we left quickly as thunder started to rumble.
I said hello to the kids as we drove away. Zola was tired and cranky and Ellis already asleep in her car seat, but Bailey was alert and chatty all the way back to Meredith's home. It felt... strange. Almost like I was part of something more than just myself. I hadn't felt that in a while.

As we entered the door, Ellis woke up and started squealing, so Dr Grey took her upstairs, leaving me with a sleepy Zola and bouncy little Bailey. Zola held her arms up to be carried, so I heaved her onto my knees as I sat down on the couch. Bailey engrossed himself in the big train set on top of the coffee table, and seemed happy as long as he could explain his train routes to me now and again. Zola just wanted a cuddle, so I bounced her on my knee and did a little rhyme my dad used to do when I was tiny.

'I went to the barber's shop,
To have my hair cut off
When I got there, I sat on a chair
And the chair went PLOP!'
I put my hands under her arms and opened up my legs so she got a little jolt and fell gently. I was of course holding her, but had a moment of fear that she would've been surprised. But confidence is everything with kids, so I started to laugh and tickle her and she seemed onboard. After I had done this a few times, she demanded it again and again, so a full ten or fifteen minutes after our arrival, Dr Grey came downstairs to find Zola and I in hysterical giggles and Bailey sitting placidly making 'Choo Choo!' noises. She paused on the stairs and smiled. 'Wow, Lola,' she said, walking over, scooping up Bailey and sitting on the couch beside me, 'You're good!'
I smiled sheepishly. 'They're great kids.'
She smiled again. 'Ellis is safely in her crib. Did you eat at the hospital?'
I shook my head. 'No, but I-'
She shushed me, and with Bailey on her hip made her way into the kitchen. 'I have...' She rifled through the cupboards, 'the kids ate at daycare as usual, so... oh, whatever, let's order pizza. You in?'
'Totally,' I grinned. This was good, this was... friendly. I felt like a friend, even though I knew I was only there for utility.

Thirty minutes later the kids were playing quietly (a rare occurrence according to Meredith) and we were eating pizza and discussing the hospital.
'So who's your official doctor?' She asked, inquisitively, taking a big bite of her slice.
'Robbins,' I said, 'Because I'm technically paediatric, but normally it's you and Torres that actually see me if its not an intern. Robbins has too many babies on her plate I guess.'
She laughed. 'No, it's because you're not sick any more. We're just keeping you here to make sure you don't get sent back.' She paused. 'Don't tell any of the other kids that.'
I smiled. 'I won't. I kind of guessed that. My last little brain bleed was ages ago, and everything's healed.'
She nodded. 'Well, we like having you around, and we don't want you sent back to those... people.'
I shrugged. 'Oh well. It can get boring, to be honest, but I'm so grateful just that I don't have to go back to them.'

She grinned again. Her eyes were smiling too, in that smile few people saw. 'I think I have a more permanent solution.'