3: Anaesthesia

Over 100 reads! Thank you so much and please vote and comment. Love y'all xxx

Dr Robbins walked quickly and quietly in to my room an hour later. I'd calmed down now Dr Shepherd was out of my room.
'Now, Lola,' she said, calmly, 'What was that about?'
I started to cry again. Why did I always have to mess things up? 'Sorry.'
'It's okay, honestly. But what happened? Have you seen Dr Shepherd somewhere before?'
I shook my head. 'It doesn't matter. I'm stupid, it's nothing, just a memory. It's fine, if you need to you can bring him...'
'Lola.' Dr Robbins spoke kindly but firmly. 'Tell me. I don't care if it's because you didn't like his hairstyle...'
'Who couldn't think that hair was great, though? Aren't all of you doctors constantly crushing on him?'
She laughed. 'Not me, but probably a fair few. Anyway, tell me.'
I sighed. 'My adoptive... my so called adoptive dad. He was called Derek. And his best friend was called Derek. And they used to beat me up for a game. That's it. Nothing special. I just...'
'You're scared of him because...'
'Because very stupidly and weirdly and oddly and childishly of me, I'm scared of guys called Derek. Stupid, I know, but honestly, Dr Robbins...'
'Sweetie, call me Arizona.'
'Arizona, it's okay. It was just a reflex when he got introduced as Derek. I'm fine now, I won't freak out again.'
'Alright. I'll bring him in. But I'll stay with you the whole time.'
I nodded, and she left the room as quickly as she'd arrived.

I breathed deeply as Dr Grey-Shepherd came in with her husband, eyeing me cautiously as if I was about to explode.
'It's okay,' I said, 'I'm not going kill anyone. I'm fine now. Sorry about before, Dr Shepherd.'
'Dr Robbins explained,' he said, running a hand through his hair and sitting down on the stool beside my bed.
'So, Lola,' he began, 'We need to get you into surgery as soon as we can, because...'

After ten minutes, the surgery had been explained and I was being wheeled in the OR where Dr Robbins and several surgical nurses plus an older guy who seemed to be the anaesthesiologist were standing ready. Fortunately, I wouldn't have to be awake for the surgery. I had made it clear to Dr Robbins that people prodding my brain whilst I was awake was a bit too far for me.

I laid on the table and took a deep, heavy breath. Dr Robbins squeezed my arm. 'You're doing great, Lola. We just need to put you on the anaesthesia, and then it'll be about ten seconds before you're asleep. The surgery only takes about twenty to forty minutes so you should be fine and then you can eat!'
I smiled weakly and took another wheezing breath. Dr Shepherd nodded towards the anaesthesiologist who quickly pushed a large syringe of blue liquid into my arm. I flinched slightly at the point sibling into me, and then waited, but nothing happened.
Dr Shepherd glanced at the anaesthesiologist. 'Dr Pickard?'
'It happens occasionally with this drug,' he said, 'In about 2% of cases, it gets absorbed too quickly so takes no effect. We have to wait ten minutes before we can inject another load.'
'We need to operate now,' said the surgical nurse who was looking at an image of my brain on a screen. Everyone looked at her.
'Nurse Kennedy?' Dr Shepherd sounded baffled, 'I think...'
'No, Dr Shepherd,' she said quietly, 'We need to operate now.'
She moved a pointed finger towards the bleed. It was definitely quicker than the tiny drop it had been before.
Dr Robbins bit her lip but smiled reassuringly when she saw me looking at her. 'So what do we do?'
'Push 50mg of...'

But suddenly, all of the voices faded, my head burned, I felt my body jerk and everything went black.