25: Big Sister

I am so sorry. I am terrible at uploading. Sorry. (But enjoy the chapter, please vote and comment etc etc) -Much love, C xx

Meredith, are you sure?' I heard Dr Robbins half-whisper as she and Meredith made their way onto the ward. 'Before we say anything... you have to be sure.'
Meredith nodded. 'I'm sure. Sure.'
Dr Robbins nodded and started to go about her rounds, whilst Meredith came over to talk to me.
'Hey, Lola,' she smiled, 'How you doing?'
'Good, thanks,' I grinned, 'How are you?'
'Fine,' she rolled her eyes and perched on the end of the bed, 'Ellis was up all night coughing, so no sleep for Mom. But Bailey- touch wood- seems to have got out of the habit of sneaking into my bed every night, so that's a plus. Makes 3am a little easier!'
I smiled, and was about to reply when Arizona made an appearance. 'Lola!' She smiled, 'All good this morning?'
I nodded, and she gave me the thumbs up. 'So, we're going to get you through to the boardroom this afternoon for a chat with some of the doctors. Is that okay?'
'Um... yeah?' I nodded, wide-eyed and curious, 'About what?'
'Just discussing... where you go, after here. We can't keep you in hospital forever, and-'
'You won't-'
'No, you won't go back to them. A new family. There's gonna be the adoption agent, and me, and Dr Grey, and maybe one or two others. Okay?'
I nodded. 'Sure. When?'
'I'll come grab you after this consult,' Meredith glanced from her pager to me, 'Ten, twenty minutes maybe.'

Half an hour later, Meredith emerged looking flustered. 'Sorry, I'm sorry,' she said as she jogged across the ward, 'I got caught up. Ready? You don't need a wheelchair do you?'
I rolled my eyes. 'I'm not sick, remember?'
'Right,' she nodded and we started to make our way across the ward, along the corridor, upstairs, along another corridor, and to the board room.
The atmosphere was friendly but not enough to rule out the intimidation. A formal-looking lady in her fifties or sixties, presumably from the adoption agency, was sitting looking disapprovingly at Dr Hunt, who was for some reason present, and Dr Robbins sat, smiley and slightly oblivious as usual, at the far end of the room. A couple of more junior doctors stood at the edge of the room, almost as if watching a surgery.
'Lola,' the adoption agency woman half-smiled and gestured to me to sit down, 'How are you?'
'I'm fine, thank you,' I gave her a sort of nervous grin that probably came off as a grimace.
'So, getting straight to the point, we have an interested party,' she said, 'Usually single parent adoption isn't a normal thing, it takes a lot more looking into and very often if they have children already, they simply don't have the time to take on kids. But you're older, and we believe- and I think you'll believe- that this person would be an excellent parent to you.'

Dr Robbins was grinning at me, and Dr Hunt looked pleasantly expectant.
'I can't really decide until I've met the family,' I said, tentatively, 'I-'
'But you have met them, Lola!' Dr Robbins almost exploded in her seat, 'Don't you understand?'

I looked from her across the room, and saw Doctor Meredith Grey, widow, mother, and fantastic surgeon, and saw possibly my favourite person in the world living right now. Someone must have brought Bailey along to see her, because she was holding the little boy on her hip, with big, inquisitive eyes and a grin that matched his mother's.

He was going to be my little brother, and I could never want for anything again.