6: Drowsiness

Guys... I was at 497 reads and 47 votes at 9:30... It's now 15:12 and I'm at over 600 reads and 56 votes! You guys are amazing and I cannot believe how far this has come since the beginning. I love you all, I hope you have an amazing day and enjoy this chapter! As ever, please vote and comment, it's what keeps me writing! Much love- C xx

I forced my eyes open to see Dr Torres standing over me grinning.
'Hey, gorgeous!' She smiled as she dimmed the lights for the sake of my eyes. My head was pounding but otherwise I felt okay.
'Don't try to move yet, okay?' She said, quietly, 'Well you can, but nothing too vigorous, alright? I'm glad you woke up and Shepherd didn't destroy your brain, kid.'
Dr Shepherd strode in. I closed my eyes and relaxed in the footsteps I'd learnt.
'I heard that,' he said, grinning at me, 'I most definitely not mess up your brain.'
I grinned. 'Is everything going to be fine, Dr Shepherd?'
'Should be,' he said, shining that stupid torch in my eye, 'Your pupils look good, no unexpected dilation. I'll send an intern in to check your vitals.'

The two doctors both spun on their heels and left. A moment later an intern shuffled in. She had long red hair and big green eyes, chalk-White skin. She must've been six foot one and she looked familiar.
'Maya?'
'Oh my... Lola?'
I stared at my cousin's face for the first time since I was adopted. Twenty-eight year old Maya Christy was my crazy Aunt Melissa's eldest daughter: Melissa had offered to adopt me when my dad passed away but she was a single mum of four: Maya was the eldest and had moved out but her half-siblings, Ethan, Matthew and Carys, were ten, eight and seven and the authorities had advised that she didn't take on anyone else.
'What happened to you?' She asked, looking concerned at my sleepiness and bandaged head, 'Are you okay?'
I half-smiled. 'Brain bleed. It's all sorted now though, I only woke up a few minutes ago.'
She sighed. 'Dr Shepherd told me your story. I didn't know it was you, but I know what you've been through, munchkin.' I smiled at the nickname Aunt Melissa had always used for me.
'You have to like, check my pulse and stuff,' I reminded her.
'Oh! Yeah,' she grabbed my wrist and took my pulse. 'Steady but slightly elevated. You should be fine in a few minutes though. Post-coma and all that. I'll just go get the blood pressure sleeve, be back in a second.'

I stared after her. She was the only reminder I had of my past. Her family was the only one I had left. They could have saved me! Even Maya could have. But they didn't. Why?