7: Loneliness

SHORT CHAPTER BECAUSE IM BUSY BUT NEEDED TO UPDATE OKAY ENJOY PLEASE VOTE BYE

'It sucks not having a family.'

Dr Grey-Shepherd looked up from her paperwork. She always came and sat with me whilst she filled out forms, as I got so bored in the day. I only saw the doctors and Maya whenever she had a spare moment, and as an intern, spare moments were few and far between.
'What?' She stared at me.
'I said it sucks not having a family.'

She nodded. 'I know.'

'What do you mean? You have a husband and kids, they're your family.'
'I didn't always have them. And I don't have parents or... siblings.' She bit her lip.
I glanced at her. 'Yeah. Well, it sucks. You know, feeling like everyone cares but no one really cares. A bit like The Simpsons. Most people like it and would be a bit disappointed if it stopped, but only a few people actually properly care about it.'
She laughed at my analogy.
'Ok,' I rolled my eyes, 'Bad example. But you know what I mean. Imagine not having Dr Shepherd or Zola. That's the boat I'm in.'
She smiled. 'Wait and see,' she said, shuffling her papers and standing up, 'Stuff like that doesn't last forever.'

'It does for me.'

'Disappointment is one thing, I think pessimism is another.' Dr Grey-Shepherd smiled and left. Soon Maya came in.
'Hey,' she said, 'How are you? I've only got a minute.'
I smiled. 'Give me intern gossip. Literally nothing goes on around here.'
She giggled. 'Well, nothing much.'
Suddenly her pager buzzed. 'Oh, no, Lola! I have to go! I'm sorry, I'll be back soon.'
I sighed loudly, and saw a patient being pushed past my door. He was hot.

I apologise for the terribleness but I'm in a rush and needed to update. Hopefully as my schedule gets slower I'll be able to update more, and summer is only a couple of months around the corner! I love you all, please vote and comment and have a great day! - C xx