15: Further Damage

'Nurse!' I said to the guy who Meredith had left me with, 'You have to take me to Trauma 3. Now!'
'I have to take you to your scan-'
'Dude!' I almost yelled, 'I'm trying to save my friend's life! Push me back, now!'
He began to push me back down the corridor to my ward and the ER, but continued to question me.
'Thank you,' I sighed.
'What is it, Miss...'
'Let's go with Miss Everett,' I said, quickly, although I had no idea what surname all my forms had on them, 'I was talking to my friend on the ward this morning-'
'Sorry,' said the nurse, who's name tag I saw said Nurse Juan Ruiz, 'How is this relevant?'
I sighed irritably. Guys never pay any attention to anything. 'If you just listen-'
But suddenly, we'd reached Trauma 3, and I was out of my wheelchair in a flash. Dr Robbins, Dr Yang and Dr Grey were clustered around Jackson, obviously only just arrived, and I found myself shouting.
'His face was dropped this morning!' I yelled, quickly, and Dr Yang turned to face me.
'What? Why are you-'
'One side of his face was dropped, and his speech was- yeah, it was- it was more slurred than usual!'
'Shoot,' Dr Yang muttered, before turning to Dr Robbins, 'The kids having a stroke.'
Dr Grey reached for his chart and shook her head. 'High probability of intraceberal,' she announced, quickly, 'Caused by the original head trauma.'
Dr Robbins nodded. 'Treat for intraceberal haemorrhage due to pre-existing traumatic brain damage as cause of a stroke until found otherwise.'
I stood, shaking slightly in the corner until this point, when Dr Robbins left the residents for a moment.
'Lola,' she asked, calmly but with a sense of urgency, 'Was he a smoker? Or a drug user? Or heavy drinker? Or anything that you know of that could affect his health or medication?'
'I don't know,' I said, 'But it's about the time his family come in. His sister'll know. Hope knows.' I thought back to a conversation in which she'd mentioned some pretty hard partying on his part. She'd looked... of course. It was so obvious. The uncharacteristic behaviour. Hope's nervousness on her brother and only her brother. He was, according to her, so confident. This wouldn't crush him. It was clear what had. 'Withdrawal?' I almost whispered.
'What?' Dr Robbins asked, quickly.
'I need to ask Hope,' I said, 'I'll be back in a moment.'
I rushed outside, panting. Being on my feet again was strange, and I suddenly felt a headache come on.
'Teen ward,' I muttered, breathlessly, and he quickly pushed me back to the room, where Hope, her uncle and her aunt were looking slightly puzzled.
She turned when she saw me and smiled, but looked more confused when she saw my face. 'Lola, what-'
'Hope,' I asked quietly, 'Drugs?'
'What are you talking about?'
'Hope,' I stared at her, not wanting to give his secret away if it was so, 'Drug. Withdrawal.'
She went pale, but in a split second she recognised the need for information. Her aunt and uncle were staring confusedly.
'Yeah, thanks, Lola,' she said loudly, staring at me, and after a moment of frantic thought she turned to me and said, 'You're my heroine.'
Her intonation told me everything, and I nodded to Nurse Ruiz to wheel me away. I smiled and looked peacefully at them, and he pushed me slowly as he left the room, sensing the need forthrir peace of mind, but as soon as we were out of sight, he was racing through the halls pushing me at breakneck speed.
We arrived at trauma room 3 soon and I rushed in again. 'Heroin,' I breathed to Dr Grey, who was standing nearest the door administering some blue drug through a tiny syringe, 'He's a heroin addict. Withdrawal since he's been in hospital. Info from his sister.'
She nodded. 'Thank you, Lola. You'll have to leave us to it now, but remind me to thank you later.'
I smiled, seeing the need to remove myself, and left the room, placing myself back into the wheelchair, heart and head pounding.
'Ugh, Nurse Ruiz,' I groaned, bringing my hand to my head, 'Can you get me some low-grade pain meds? My head is killing me.'
'You'll need a surgeon for that,' he said, wheeling me along to my test as planned.
'Why? I literally mean just ibuprofen or sonething. Please?'
'No. You had brain damage, didn't you? So anything for head pain has to be given by a surgeon, or with a surgeon present. After your test, I'll get whichever surgeon it is to get you some, kid.'
'Okay. Thanks, Nurse, for that little adventure.'
He grinned. 'Any time.'

6k reads guys! Whoa! Thank you! Much love- C xx