Chapter 2

As times improved, so did people's standards. Even donating money had changed to a high-end method.

Before, donating was always cash and cheques, the more the better. Now it was not enough anymore, you had to take out your items and donate whatever amount you managed to sell them for.

Charity galas differ from prize-giving ceremonies in that seating plans were crafted with care here. Those who sat in front were not necessarily famous actors, they tended to be those CEOs with money, who were willing to spend.

Su Yi's seat was arranged to be near the rear but not too far behind. She sat down leisurely and smiled at some of the more familiar faces as a greeting.

– before she picked up the auction list placed in front of her.

Her heel was really hurting just now; she'd probably rubbed a layer of skin off. She really had no energy to keep asking the man just which 'chu' and which 'ying' it was.

Su Yi perused the auction list, where the names of all the auctioneers are listed. Even after a thorough search though, she couldn't find a single "chu" or "ying" – she couldn't even find someone with 'chu' as a surname.

What!

He is not selling anything!?

"Yi-jie, that dress is very becoming of your figure."

Su Yi turned her head. Beside her was Tu Jinglan, who, like her, was a female actor who mainly acted in the secondary roles. They had met many times at auditions, and Su Yi's impression of her was... no impression.

They had never conversed before.

Su Yi smiled, graciously accepting her compliment.

Tu Jinglan continued, "Yi-jie is here today to buy, or to donate?"

Su Yi said, "Donate."

"How coincidental, me too. It's an ancestral small pendant, I can't bear letting it go."

Su Yi let out an 'oh'.

Bluntly put, almost half the celebrities around were auctioning their 'heirlooms'.

As to whether or not it was an heirloom, that would remain a mystery. There were still plenty people buying, some because they felt like spending lots of money on a celebrity's item(s) was rather good for boasting about; some because they wished to donate and simply picked something they found acceptable; some... investors will also spend lots of money to buy those and give their sugar babies better reputations.

As if finally feeling Su Yi's indifference, Tu Jinglan no longer tried to butter her up. She turned around and started conversing with some other ladies, leaving Su Yi finally with some peace and quiet.

At the start of the gala, the host took a long time before finally slowly getting to the topic.

After successfully selling a few items, the atmosphere got livelier and the host started introducing the next item.

"Lady Tu Jinglan is auctioning this time this pendant made of white jade. The pendant... is carved delicately, with a rather generous style... it is rumoured to be an heirloom of Lady Tu Jinglan's family, with a starting price of fifty thousand dollars."

It was rather tough on the organisers to have to come up with all these adjectives for the pendant.

Su Yi leisurely hugged her waist, looked at the pendant on the screen and assessed it silently.

Which person would be silly enough to really bring their ancestral heirloom here and auction it? This pendant, based on her experience running a street stall, was worth at most thirty dollars.