Chapter 18

When Chu Ying returned to the car, his phone screen was lit, displaying a few unanswered calls.

He picked it up and looked at the caller's name. Then he fired up the engine, but was in no hurry to leave. Instead, he called back.

"Why did you only just pick up my phone!" The girl on the other end was fierce and delicate all at once.

Chu Ying said, "What is it?"

"I heard from Ma that a while ago you went somewhere for a conference." The girl giggled. "Did you bring me back any presents?"

"No."

"Alright, then let me inform you, you have just lost a cute and sprightly little sister."

Chu Ying's mien remained unchanged. "That's great."

"..." Chu Xi found it rather boring. "Ma wants me to let you know, come home for dinner tomorrow."

After hanging up, Chu Ying flipped through his contacts until he reached the recently added number. He did not need to look too deeply, all he had to do was to scroll down to see that long string of words.

A rabbit waiting for you to contact her every day.

The guy's lips quirked up almost imperceptibly. After closing his phone, he drove out of the parking lot.

...

The second day, Chu Ying returned to the old house.

When he reached home, the two ladies were sitting on the sofa, sharing some melon seeds, discussing something.

Father Chu sat on the side sofa reading the newspaper.

Chu Xi saw him, and in a rather unconcerned, stand-offish way, greeted. "Brother."

At that, Mother Chu turned around.

"You're back? Wait a moment, sit down, the food's not ready yet."

Chu Ying sat down on the sofa opposite his father, picking up a newspaper as he did so.

The duo's old-fashioned actions were almost identical – no one would believe they were not father and son.

After some commercials, the TV show the mother and daughter were waiting for, finally aired.

Chu Ying's habit of reading the papers had been put aside for so long that, when faced with this bunch of words all squished together, he did not want to see them anymore.

"I'm okay, you don't need to care about me..." The female voice from the TV was low, hiding a little whimper. "She must have mistaken us, I'll go apologise to her tomorrow."

The voice was very familiar. Yesterday, it was right beside him, asking to exchange phone numbers with him.

As he out down the newspaper, Su Yi's face appeared in front of his eyes.

Her long black hair was obediently, loosely set on her shoulders, the soft words admitting to her mistakes coming out of her mouth. On her soft white cheeks, there was a clear handprint. With the pink showing on the corners of her eyes, she really was the very pinnacle of 'pitiful'.

"You must treat her well, just looking at you from afar is enough for me to feel joy." When she finished speaking, she raised her head suddenly, her beautiful red lips formed a forced smile. "We're still friends, it's enough."

As Chu Ying watched with interest, a pillow landed on the screen, almost knocking it over.

"Aaaaahhhh!!!" Chu Xi screeched. "Why must she be so horrible! I hate her! That dirty mistress!"