Chapter 40

There was a strange silence around. Even Tu Jinglan, who was about to go help Lin Xia remove the cream on her face, paused. After a long while she opened her mouth.

"Lin-jie, is today your birthday?"

"No!"

Lin Xia was even more upset now. However, she recognised Su Yi's voice and daren't flare up and utter something she'll regret later...

"Hurry up and help me get rid of this!"

"It isn't?" Su Yi blinked, looking innocent. "Did I remember incorrectly? It can't be."

"... you did remember incorrectly." Lin Xia smiled unsmilingly. "Today is not my birthday."

"Aiyah*, then I really did remember incorrectly."

[*a sound one makes when realising a mistake]

Su Yi retrieved her hand, taking a tissue to help her wipe her face a few times, successfully catching a clump of fake eyelashes. Swallowing down her laughter she continued.

"I'm sorry about this, my sister and I wanted to give you a surprise."

Lin Xia had finally wiped all the cream off her face, smudging her makeup in the process.By this point, she was a hideous sight. She was completely unaware though, asking confusedly, "Your sister? Since when did you have a sister?"

Su Yi had used a slice of cake cut and set aside by someone else, but Chu Xi hadn't – she had grabbed straight from the cake itself to wipe onto Lin Xia's face, making a mess.

Su Yi smiled but didn't reply, instead changed the topic.

"She destroyed a lot of the cake... How about this, I'll get someone to send another here, I heard that there's a cake shop nearby that sells pretty good cakes."

Wu Xue hurriedly turned around to give the cake shop a call, dragging Chu Xi with her as she left.

Every artist in a crew has a different schedule, and finishes on different dates and time.. The main characters are usually done on the last day, and side characters with as much to do as Su Yi's role would have to film until almost the end. But, Tu Jinglan was different. The actors whose roles where one only had to show one's face and be physically present could leave once one was done. So, she was done with the filming even if they're only halfway through filming the actual show.

Su Yi was more curious about why Lin Xia was here. Since if it was just a minor side character being done with her role, Lin Xia wouldn't be bothered to come all the way – she had quite a few other celebrities to manage too, and a few of them were quite popular. Usually, Lin Xia would be going around with them. When she was still with Lin Xia, the other contacted her about once a month. And most of the time, it was to tell her to go drink with someone.

Recalling those not-so-good memories deepened her hatred for Lin Xia. Thus, she turned on her heels and walked away to sit beside the camera and talk to Li Min about the show.

"Why do you need me to talk about the show with you?" Li Min said. "Until now, in the entire crew you're the one who's the deepest into your role."

Su Yi clearly wouldn't dare say that she went overboard last night, and couldn't get into the right frame of mind after waking up today. "An An is still changing anyways, please just talk to me about it."

Elsewhere, Lin Xia looked in the mirror and almost screeched out loud.

This panda-eyed person in the mirror was her?!

"Why didn't you say something just now, why did you let me stay like this for so long?!" Lin Xia was so angry she was panting. "Hurry up and pass me your make-up!"