;24.

The end of an era.

The semicolon stands for typically a sentence that two parts of it could form grammatical sentences on their own, but instead of ending, it continues as one. 

 It has now finally met the end, the end of an era.

Elaine was 13 the first time she ever laid her fingers on a piano.

Her mother was a lovely piano prodigy, Elaine can remember her mother playing piano melodies to her for her entire life. They  were her lullabies every single night before bed. Elaine would sit in her mother's lap hugging her tightly as her mother's fingers danced over the black and white keys. Elaine would watch and listen with adoration, she played so effortlessly and magnificent. As Elaine sit in her mother's lap listening intently, quickly her mother's playing overcame her, like a gorgeous sirens melody, possessing her mind until finally she was out, just like a light. It was as though her mother's music casts a spell on everyone who was fortunate enough to be there to listen.

Because of her mothers love for the piano she had signed Elaine up for classes in the 8th grade. 

Presently her mom might cherish the piano yet Elaine hated it initially. Sure it was a flawless instrument and sounds glorious yet that is in the event that you actually know how to play. Elaine loathed her playing and how it always sounded like ruckus but so many others played it so effortlessly, so remarkably. She hated how her hands were always too small to play it correctly, she hated that look of pity the instructor would give her every time she messed up.

Why was her playing terrible but others so tremendous?

She remembers sitting before the large instrument with tears flowing, she'd continue to practice over and over again but nothing ever went her way especially with her foggy eyesight from her furious tears that never helped.

Her lessons were weekly and she was frequently given homework to do. Quite a few times she just wouldn't practice at all and then she'd go to her lesson and somehow execute it impeccably.

The teacher would say something like "I can tell you've been practicing." and she'd get so filled with joy she would actually come home and practice just to  mess it up over and over again. 

Elaine was a very credulous individual, very naïve. she anticipated that everything would always go her way, because of this mindset, when things didn't go her way she had just quit in general.

It wasn't until senior year that she had finally gave up her petty strike of never touching a piano again. Her mother had grown sick during this year. Her mother was always at the piano but now that she was mostly in bed Elaine never realized how much she truly loved and missed the beautiful piano melodies until they were gone.

As her mother's sickness grew Elaine became motivated to play once again. This time she kept in mind that it's okay to make mistakes, and she continued her mother's legacy of piano playing.

After her mother's death everyone was devastated, Elaine always loved her mother with her entire heart, and she continued to play after she was gone. 

Her death was months after her and Elaine's fathers divorce, Elaine and her siblings don't even know much about him anymore and now they have to go live with him once again. in an empty home with no sweet aura of a loving mother, only a drunk heartbroken father.