The Carnival

Wanda and Natasha were alone at the compound for the weekend. Everyone had gone off for some personal time but Wanda still felt behind the others in training so she wanted to stay and continue to workout in the gym. Of course Natasha stayed with her to help her train. The Sokovian had tried to tell Nat that she didn't need her to hang around for the weekend, that she deserved some time away as well and she would be fine not slipping for a couple days. But the woman refused to leave her, telling her that they would go away together when Wanda was ready.

For now they were in the kitchen after their morning training with Natasha making them smoothies. The redhead slid a strawberry smoothie across the counter to Wanda and asked, "Any other plans for today?"

"Afternoon workout session?" Wanda asked, taking a sip of the frozen drink.

Natasha shook her head, "You need to rest and relax too, do something fun.. I saw there was a carnival in town and was wondering if you wanted to go."

"I'm not little." The witch said, wiping at the condensation on her glass.

Natasha kept her sigh to herself, waiting a beat before continuing. While little Wanda had fully immersed herself in with the Avengers- plastering herself to Nat, hanging off of Steve like a jungle gym, having tea parties with Pepper, playing hide and seek with Sam and Vision- big Wanda still held a few reservations, thinking of herself as a burden to the others on the occasion. The Widow wished she could convince the younger woman that she welcomed all parts of Wanda. She said steadily, "There is a little section of the carnival if you'd like, but I was thinking the two of us could just go. There are plenty of things for us to do there.. Unless you don't want to go with me. That's fine too."

"No!" Wanda said a bit too forcefully before clearing her throat and dialing it back, "I mean, no. I'd want to go with you. I just thought.."

She let her words trail off but Nat didn't need her to finish her sentence to know what she was thinking. The spy gave her a patient smile. She would go over this with her for as many times as it took, "I like hanging out with you, Wanda. I want to hang out with you. I'm not just trying to be nice or waiting for little Wanda to appear. I like you."

The witch's cheeks went pink and a shy smile tugged at the corners of her lips, "I like you too, Tasha."

"So.." The redhead raised a playful eyebrow at her, getting back to her original proposal of going to the carnival.

"I've never been to a carnival before." Wanda admitted, clearly looking enticed.

"Then we have to go." Nat declared, "We'll go on rides, eat fried food, play games. I'll even win you a prize at one."

"Yeah, okay." The brunette finally agreed, "I'd like that."

"Great. Finish your drink, then we can get cleaned up and go." Nat said with a broad grin.

----

About an hour later Natasha and Wanda were driving down the road in the Widow's cherry red convertible with the wind whipping up in there hair. Wanda laughed as Natasha sang along to some top-40's song that she was surprised the woman knew the words to. It wasn't a long drive to the carnival. It was a quick 20 minutes into town only for them to end up going right back out on the other side another 10 minutes to a large field where the carnival had been set up.

As Nat pulled into the designated parking lot on the grassy field, Wanda looked in wonder at the slowly spinning Ferris wheel and other rides, the colorful tents, and the smell of fried food wafting on the breeze along with the chatting laughter and occasional high pitched scream of excitement. She peered over the sun glasses Nat had let her borrow, "Wow, it's so.. vibrant."