Little Bucky

Things didn't immediately click with Wanda and Bucky in the first couple of days, though Nat was a little surprised that it wasn't Wanda with more reservations. She shouldn't have been too surprised though really. Wanda was already established in the household while Bucky was still finding his footing. They didn't spend much time together as Steve rushed to set up a new home for Bucky with his own little room similar to Wanda's except with a racecar bed, which was the only thing he seem excited about living in the new place.

The third day after they had arrived, Steve walked into Nat's living room with Bucky in tow where the Natasha watched over Wanda playing with some foam blocks, "Hey Nat, would you mind watching Bucky for a couple of hours. I'm dying to get a run in."

"Sure, no problem." The redhead looked up from her book and at the shy little.

"Do you want to try and play with Wanda?" Steve asked him encouragingly. "You like playing with blocks."

"Yeah.. okay." He agreed but only came a few steps into the room, his stuffed wolf secured under his arm. Steve ruffled his hair affectionately then turned to Nat.

"If he wants to play a game on his tablet it's in his bag here." He set a rocket ship backpack next to Nat. "Have fun. I'll be back soon, bubs."

Steve left and Bucky sat about as far away from the little witch as he could while still being able to be considered as sitting with her, setting Wolfie right against his side. Wanda turned to him and offered him a cylindrical block, "Bubby, lello b'ock."

He took the block she offered to him and twirled it between his fingers. Wanda then redirected her attention to the haphazard tower she was building, trying to put a large red rectangle on top of everything only for it to collapse. Wanda sighed, "Uh-oh."

"You gotta put da big ones on da bottom 'r it'll fall over." Bucky informed her.

Wanda scooted closer to him, handing him more blocks, "Bubby build b'ocks peas."

"Sure." Bucky glanced around uncertainly but built a tower, demonstrating on how to place the bigger, sturdy blocks on the bottom and the smaller, lighter blocks on top. Wanda watch with fascination and clapped her hands when he finished it.

She exclaimed, "So tall! Go boom!"

Bucky didn't know exactly what she meant by that but Natasha filled him in, observing them more closely than she was letting on, "She wants you to knock it over."

"Why?" He tilted his head like a curious puppy.

"I don't know. She thinks it's funny. Who knows we why find certain things funny." Nat said with a shrug and a kind smile. Bucky nodded and turned back to his tower, taking out one of the bottom blocks out from formation and causing the foam pieces to fall down around them in a harmless, rainbow cascade. Wanda giggles and squealed and Bucky found a smile tugging at the corner of the lips. He might not see the humor in it but he liked to see Wanda laugh. So when she stared handing him the blocks again and asking, "Bubby, aga'n peas."

Bucky once more built a tall tower for Wanda to ooh at then with sparkling eyes say 'go boom' and the little boy more theatrically punched the center of his creation to collapse the tower. Wanda found this twice as hilarious and toppled to one side with amusement. Bucky laughed a little too. Eventually she composed herself and asked Bucky to do it again. He obliged and they played like that for a while with Bucky inventing new towers and new ways to knock them down for Wanda or letting her knock it down until Bucky ran out of ideas and Wanda got distracted by chewing on one of her cardboard books.

Bucky told her that wasn't how you played with books and said he could read it because he was five, almost six. He slowly sounded out the words to read the story about a kitten unraveling a ball of yarn to the younger Wanda who sat next to him and listened raptly as she worked her pacifier in her mouth. They were pretty cute together. Wanda even managed to get Bucky to play dolls with her, surprisingly giving him her favorite doll in the pink dress to play with. Not even Nat ever got the pink doll.