The New Arrival

Steve: Do you still have those diapers that were too big for Wanda?

Natasha nearly bolted up in bed at the text message she received around midnight. If Wanda wasn't sleeping on her chest, subconsciously tugging on her pacifier she would have. She quickly typed out a reply with one hand.

Natasha: What the hell Rogers?! We haven't heard from you in like 3 weeks.

Captain America had left for a mission around three weeks ago in search of his long lost best friend. It wasn't unusual for him to be gone for a long stretch of time but he never went so long without contacting them. Everyone was beginning to really worry and discussions on how to proceed had started. Little Wanda asked about when Unca' Steve was coming home. And now he was texting her in the middle of the night asking about diapers.

Steve: Yes, sorry about that. I'm back now and I can explain. Could you come out and talk?

Nat thought for a second but knew she had to go see what was going on with Steve. Before she could text back he sent another message.

Steve: And the diapers?

Natasha: Yeah, I think they're still in the closet. I'll be out in a minute.

Carefully she eased Wanda from on top of her and onto the mattress. The little snuffled a bit but the woman stroked her hair and murmured 'I love you' by her ear and she settled back down to sleep. Then stealthily she got into her closet and pulled out the wrong sized diaper Sam had bought some time ago. The redhead then crept out of the bedroom and out into the living room.

She walked up so quietly that Steve didn't notice her approaching, nor did the other person with her but the sight of him made Nat freeze in place as she overheard some of their conversation.

"I'm not a baby." Bucky said sourly, sounding little.

Steve was calm as the Winter Soldier pouted, "I know you're not a baby, bubs. But we don't have pull-ups for night time and I think I would be a good idea, especially in a new bed."

"'M five. Almost sixx." The little slurred with tiredness.

"It's just for the one night until we can go to the store tomorrow and get your pull-ups." Steve said, still patient. Little Bucky didn't protest anymore and looked down to the floor sullenly. Nat cleared her throat and the pair turned in surprise. Bucky immediately ducked behind Steve while Steve gave the Widow a wane grin, "Hey Nat. How are you doing?"

"Alright for being woken up in the middle of the night by my teammate who all but disappeared for 3 weeks." She raised a questioning eyebrow at him.

"It's a long story.." Steve exhaled and then looked behind him, "Hey Buck, can you say hello to Natasha?"

Bucky shuffled to the side, still partially concealed by Steve and looking at Nat through his long dark hair that hung in his face, "Hullo."

The redhead gave him a warm, reassuring smile, "Hi Bucky. It's nice to meet you. Who do you have there?"

The little had a stuffed animal under his one arm in the shape of a fluffy gray wolf. Bucky squeezed it a  bit tighter and mumbled, "Wolfie."

"He's really cool. Are you and Wolfie tired? It's pretty late to be awake right now." Natasha spoke in a low soothing voice, easily slipping into it when speaking to a little.

"Yeah.." He rubbed his eyes.

Steve smiled at him sympathetically, "Let's head up to bed, pal.. You going back to bed?"

He turned to ask Nat the question. She shook her head and handed him the pack of diapers, lowering her voice to keep the conversation between them, "Not if you're coming back down to fill me in."