🍭 𝕥𝕨𝕠 🍭

Jailen

He spared me. By the grace of higher power, my boss reluctantly decided against firing me today. I spent the rest of the day on edge, afraid that any little mistake could lead to my termination. Constantly looking over my shoulder as if I was being watched.

I felt like I was. I still felt his hand on my body hours later. I didn't see him anymore after I got off the elevator, but to be fair, I wasn't exactly searching for him. I just couldn't stop thinking about him. Not until I got home and the bright-ass red paper was staring me in the face.

TO THE TENANT OF 3C,
THIS IS YOUR FINAL WARNING.
PROPERTY OWNERS HAVE DECIDED TO MOVE FORWARD WITH EVICTING YOU FROM THE PREMISES DUE TO FAILURE TO PAY RENT ON TIME, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS AGREED UPON IN THE LEASE.
YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO PAY THE REMAINING BALANCE OF $3,246, OR MATTERS WILL BE TAKEN INTO THE PROPERTY OWNER'S HANDS
-Management

I rolled my eyes and snatched it from the door, the adhesive sticking to my peephole again. I unlocked my door and walked in, hanging my purse on the hook before I kicked the door closed behind me.

It slammed loudly and I winced, counting down the seconds until my upstairs neighbor complained. 3... 2...1...

The stomping began. She marched through her apartment, determined to make as much noise as possible. I could feel the headache forming at the back of my neck as I sat my keys and the eviction notice on the counter. The walls were thin, I could hear my upstairs neighbor yell and slam her doors like she did every time I accidentally made a noise.

I wasn't in the mood today. Even if I was, my studio apartment only had two doors, the front door and the bathroom door, which didn't make as much noise as I needed it to. Plus, I'd just look stupid standing there repeatedly slamming the same door... I glanced over at the front door and thought about it... would I really look that stupid? Of course, I would.

I shrugged my blazer off of my shoulders and kicked my heels off of my feet, letting out a sigh of relief as my feet touched the cool hardwood. The only pair of office appropriate heels I owned just so happened to be the most uncomfortable pair in the world. I got them a few years back for graduation. They were pricey, but at the time, worth it. Had I known I'd be struggling as much as I am now, I would've opted for a pair of sandals and called it a day.

My stomach growled and it was only then that I realized I hadn't eaten anything all day. I had skipped out on breakfast and truthfully was too scared to take a break earlier. God, I fucking hated this job.

I crossed the floor and walked into the small kitchen, my back bumping against the stove as I opened the refrigerator. Empty. I opened the freezer and frowned. It was also empty aside from the old vegetables and freezer burnt ice cream.

The doors closed with a slap and I entered the living room again. I stripped out of my work clothes and laid them across the back of the couch before grabbing the pair of leggings from the floor. I slid on my old high school sweatshirt and my sneakers before grabbing my purse and heading out the door.

I didn't bother locking the door. If anyone were to break in, they wouldn't find anything. They'd be doing me a favor by getting rid of the shit I was too lazy to throw out on my own.

It was chillier than it was earlier. The wind whipped against me as I padded down the street. My phone vibrated in my purse, but I ignored it. I doubt it was important, and if it was, it'd just have to wait.

The market wasn't as crowded considering the time. It was a little after five, the peak of rush hour, but it was tolerable.

I grabbed a cart and leaned on it as I pushed through the sliding doors. I didn't have a specific thing I was looking for. It took me a moment to put anything in my cart because everything was expensive. Well, not in my budget. I calculated the price in my head of the items that I reluctantly sat in my cart and made my way to check out before I could convince myself to put everything back.