54.

Christmas was a needed reprieve from the stress of Sirius Black. But after New Year, it was time to return to the castle once more.

Again, Rose decided on the floo instead of the train. It was nice to ride it again but she didn't need to spend another 7 hours riding a train when she could travel instantly.

She spent her time making sure everything was in order in the Hospital wing and catching up with the others teachers who went away for the break. It was quiet and calm.

And then the students returned. It seemed as though as soon as the Weasley twins walked through the door, Minerva's heart rate rose. It was kind of amusing.

But only a few days into the term, Harry started his lessons with Professor Lupin. Rose did want to be there for his lesson, to see if she could help, but she was called in to testify in Hagrid's trial since she was the one who treated Draco.

Rose wasn't happy about it but with Malfoy Sr. having the power he did, she had no choice. All she could do was put on a professional pantsuit and show up to the ministry of magic.

She promised herself she was going to remain as objective as possible. Any hint that she was biased towards Draco or Hagrid would get her testimony scrubbed. After all, she'd only been called there, to tell the truth.

When Rose did show up at the Ministry and entered the courtroom, she found that Lucius Malfoy was helping preside over the case. As if that wasn't a conflict of interest.

Rose was one of the first and only witnesses to speak because the court wasn't going to call on a group of thirteen-year-olds. They only had what Lucius and Hagrid said.

Lucius was also intent on Rose not speaking. He knew her and her story, what her parentage was and who she was related to and caring for.

To be perfectly honest, the feeling was completely mutual. Lucius Malfoy got off with no punishment after the first war despite the fact he had explicitly worked with Voldemort. All he had to do was claim the imperius curse had been used on him.

He objected to Rose's presence by asking if she was really a trustworthy witness. Hagrid became irate, he couldn't see through the cunning tactics of Mr. Malfoy. Rose, on the other hand, simply smiled and stated that she had every qualification to be there. Lucius was welcome to ask her about any of them and she'd be happy to explain.

It was for the best that the person questioning Rose was a neutral third party.

She was asked strictly about the wound Draco sustained. Not about her feelings on the matter or what she thought should happen. Just about the wound.

"There was a scratch on Draco Malfoy's arm. His robe was ripped down to his button up but no further," Rose said truthfully. She wasn't lying, and she wasn't exaggerating.

"Would you call the wound Mr. Malfoy sustained a serious injury?"

"No, I wouldn't call it a serious injury. It required only a few days to heal completely."

Lucius didn't enjoy that answer but he couldn't object to her statements. And once Rose had been asked all of her questions, she sat off to the side to hear what the verdict would be.

***
"And just so you know, Harry, I think you would have given your father a run for his money. And that is saying something," Professor Lupin adds happily. He sees so much of James in the boy sitting next to him.