Chapter Five: Journey

——————————

Key:

Bold text = English

F/c = favorite color

——————————

     Urokodaki didn't return until nearly nightfall. You sent Tanjiro to bed early, knowing that your teacher would put him through hell the next couple months.

     You had just tossed another log onto the fire when the door opened.

     Urokodaki stepped in. "We have something to discuss (Y/n)."

     Dipping your head in response, you grabbed a bowl from a shelf and filled it with the hot pot you had made.

     "Here you go Sensei." You handed the food to Urokodaki.

     "Much appreciated (Y/n)." He sat down.

     After a couple minutes of silence, Urokodaki began speaking.

     "There is a test that will take place in a couple weeks." He started. "This test is called the 'Final Selection.' Here, trainees put their skills to the test to see if they can survive a week on a demon infested mountain. It is up to them to know when to fight, and when to run. If you are interested in taking this trial, I will let you. Under two conditions." He paused, looking at you.

     "And what are these conditions?" You asked after a moment of silence.

     "One. You will have to complete a task for me." Urokodaki didn't specify the task, but you knew it had to be the boulder. "Two. You cannot tell Tanjiro about this. He has just barely started his apprenticeship, and his reason for being a demon slayer is much different from yours."

     You hesitated. Then the words slipped out of your mouth in a whisper.

     "I agree."

ʚ~♡~ɞ

     The following day, you stood before the large boulder.

     Tanjiro broke his by slicing Sabito's mask. How the heck will I break mine? I already sliced Sabito's mask...

     Laughter sounded in your head. There's always a way dear. You just have to find it.

     A strong gust of wind blew directly in your face. Closing your eyes from the dust, you were quite shocked to see a woman standing in front of you when you opened your eyes.

     "Welcome (Y/n)-san." The woman smiled.

     Much to your surprise, your surroundings had changed. No longer were you standing in the forest clearing, but on barren earth. There were no trees in sight.

     "Where am I?" You whispered.

     The woman merely smiled, before drawing her blade. "Shall we?"

     What do you think? I don't have much choice do I, lady. You rolled your eyes mentally. Last thing I want is to get stuck here.

     Sighing, you drew your blade. "Rules to the match?"

     "First to draw blood wins. No fatal blows allowed." She inspected your stance. "Loosen your joints. Don't have your knees locked. It slows your reaction time."

     Yes mom. You groaned inwardly.

     Bending your knees slightly, you realized the woman was right. It gave you better traction on the ground.