Chapter Twenty: Closed Doors

Song: Life - NEFFEX

——————————

Key:

Bold Text = English

(h/c) = hair color

(f/c) = favorite color

——————————

WARNING: none

     A few weeks later, you bid a tearful farewell to Urokodaki. Tanjiro had received his sword, the blade becoming black when he pulled it out. You said nothing at the time, merely comparing the traits of his to yours.

     Haru had been right. Your blade was indeed made out of something other than Nirichin Ore. Said person had also appeared to check up on your blade's condition. They frowned when you mentioned lack of missions and use.

     "How odd." Haru commented. "It's not like the organization to be so.. disorganized."

     You nodded in agreement with what they said. "I haven't actually done any fighting with it. Well, if you count the spar I had with Sabito then I guess I have fought."

     Retelling the story of what happened that night, Haru's eyes widened. They quickly excused themselves and hurried off, leaving you feeling confused in the aftermath.

     Then came the case of Sabito and Makomo. The day before you planned to leave, two crows appeared on your doorstep, each clutching a paper note in its mouth. One was addressed to Makomo, the other to Sabito. They opened it, quickly scanning the writing.

     "I'm to report to the Butterfly Mansion." Makomo mumbled, still reading.

     "Same." Sabito had said. "I don't know the reason though."

     "Well," you began, "you both still want to be demon slayers right?"

     Both of your friends nodded.

     "I'm assuming this has to do with that."

     "How so?" Sabito questioned.

     "Because you both never passed your final selections." You told them at that time. "The final selection is based on survival, which you technically did not do." You cringed slightly, but they waved you off. "At the same time, you were reincarnated by whatever the heck I did, and now Headquarters has to deal with it."

     Both gave you a nod of understanding.

     "I don't know if you will have to redo your Final Selections or if they'll have you do something else." Your head tilted in thought, a few ideas running through your head. "The next Final Selection isn't for a while.. but I would assume they want the problem to be resolved as quickly as possible. Going off of that..." you trailed off, realizing you were starting to ramble. "Anyways to summarize it- in the end, the outcome of whether or not you become a demon slayer relies on Headquarters."

     "That's annoying." Sabito muttered.

     "It makes sense though." Makomo poked his side. "We are dead on their records."

     "I can still complain about it." Sabito jabbed her back.

     That started a poking contest between your two friends. The letters they had received were temporarily forgotten, the only thing on their mind being revenge on the other.

     At the time, you smiled. Well at least they're enjoying themselves.

     Fast forward to present day, you held the presents you bought previously in your arms.