Chapter Fifteen: Staying True to Oneself

Song: あの夢おなぞって (or Tracing That Dream): YOASOBI

——————————

Key:

Korokke: croquette, a breaded type of food that usually has a filling of meats and/or veggies.

Okonomiyaki: Japanese street food, a savory pancake that can have a variety of toppings and sauces on top

——————————

WARNING: MINOR LANGUAGE USAGE

     Crunch.

     Crunch.

     Your footsteps matched Tanjiro's, the two of you still making your way through the rolling landscape around you.

     It had been quiet for a few hours now, each comfortable in the other's presence.

     The night was beginning to fade out to a new dawn, the remaining stars fading out with the new day. Puffy cotton candy clouds decorated the sky above, a soft breeze caressing your face and making the wild grasses dance and sway.

     "Say Tanjiro," You broke the silence. "What are you going to do once you finish your final selection?"

     The male was voiceless for a moment, pondering your question.

     "I don't really know yet." He replied. "I want to find a cure for Nezuko, that is for sure."

     His thoughtful gaze hardened into determination. "And then.. I'll go after Muzan."

     Your eyes widened.

     That's right, I had almost forgotten about that.

     Four years of this world had blurred your memories of your own. And unfortunately... the knowledge that came with it.

     "What about you (Y/n)?" He asked.

     "Ah..." you trailed off into silence. "I'm not sure either. I'll probably continue accepting missions though."

     "You don't have a personal goal?"

     You remained quiet, lips slightly parted in thought.

     I have questions that need answers. Like my breathing style. What is with this "shooting star" and "meteor shower" stuff? And then there is the tenth hashira as well. Somehow we're connected. The only way I can get answers to that though... is through the library.

     "Well... I guess there are a few questions I would like answered. Say Tanjiro. Did I ever tell you about the tenth hashira?" You looked at your friend.

     "Tenth..?" Tanjiro's eyebrows knitted together. "Aren't there only nine?"

     "Ah, that's what people think." You chuckled. "The tenth hashira... I've yet to come across someone who knows about them. Unknown and mysterious, left behind and forgotten. That is what people have told me. Only one known user has ever worked with the Corps."

     Your gaze moved to the path in front of you, focusing on the dirt and gravel. "I never did tell you why I was interested in the tenth hashira did I?" You realized. "It's.. quite a long story, but I think we have time."

     "Our paths intertwine for that long?" Tanjiro asked.

     A trace of a smile made its way onto your face at his statement.