Chapter Thirteen: Even the Brightest Places Have its Secrets

Song: 4ÆM - Grimes

——————————

Key:

Bold text = English

——————————

WARNING: MINOR LANGUAGE USAGE

     Birdsong woke you up, the cheerful melody could be heard from outside.

     Oddly enough, you were excited. Sure, you were a bit anxious, but the feeling of anticipation overpowered your nerves.

     Stepping outside, the door across from you also opened.

     "Good morning Tanjiro!" You greeted your friend.

     "Good morning (Y/n)." He gave you a close eyed smile. "Looks like we both have a big day ahead of us."

     "Yeppp." You put your arms behind your head. "Do you feel like you're ready?"

     "To be frank with you..." Tanjiro sighed. "Not really. And although I have been training a lot, I just don't feel like I'm strong enough for this."

     You smiled sympathetically. "Tanjiro, you are strong enough. For the better part of two years, you've been training almost nonstop. Heck, I think you're better prepared than I was at the time."

     "You actually believe that (Y/n)?" He asked.

     "Silly, I don't believe it, I know it." Reaching a hand up, you ruffled Tanjiro's hair. "You will do just fine in the Final Selection."

     "Wha- Hey!" Tanjiro ducked, swatting your hand away.

     You giggled. "Sorry but your hair looks so fluffy. Can't help it." You shrugged.

     He turned away with a huff.

     "Quit pouting Tanjiro, you'll never be able to get rid of me."

     The two of you arrived at the living room, and you busied yourself with last minute packing.

     Behind you, you could hear Urokodaki and Tanjiro conversing, which you tried to block out to the best of your ability. Conversations are supposed to be private after all.

     Standing up, you pulled on your shoes and bag, opening the front door.

     "Sora!" You stepped out, calling into the yard. "Are you ready?"

     Within seconds, a familiar black blob shot out of the canopy.

     "(Y/NNNN)!!" The blob screeched, before settling on your shoulder.

     "Ow, ow, ow! Hey Sora." You winced slightly as his talons dug into your uniform. "You ready for the mission?"

     "Sora ready!" Your crow chirped, ever the optimist.

     The door creaked open again, your former teacher and Tanjiro walking out onto the porch.

     "Which way are you going (Y/n)?" Tanjiro asked.

     You pointed west, and his eyes widened. "We're going in the same direction!"

     "Ooh," your eyes sparkled. "Looks like we can travel together for a bit then."

     Tanjiro nodded, and you set off down the path, giving Urokodaki and Tanjiro a moment to say their goodbyes.

     The sound of footsteps alerted you a few minutes later. You turned to see Tanjiro beside you, a bit out of breath.