Chapter Seven: Final Selection (pt 2)

The following days passed uneventfully. Of course there were minor skirmishes with demons, but nothing as drastic as your encounter with Kaori.

     Currently, you were sitting in the branches of a tree. The sun had just set, and you were getting ready to head out.

     How many days has it been...? You thought. Six? Seven?

     You stopped. ...Six sounds about right.

     Sighing, you jumped down. Jeez, I'm starting to lose track of time in this place.

     Pulling your sword from its sheath, you examined it for any scratches. Observing none, you slid it back into place, satisfied.

     "One night left." You mumbled to yourself. "I'm still in one piece, which is much more than I expected..."

     The ground had grown steep over the last few days. From your running, it had slowed until you were reduced to a brisk walking pace. Going uphill had your legs burning, but you continued nonetheless.

     "It's the final night." You said, trying to encourage yourself. "Let's get it over with."

     You took off, set on reaching the summit as fast as you could.

     About an hour or so later, the ground leveled out, giving you a much needed break.

     "Thank goodness." You sat down, while still keeping your senses alert. "I would've collapsed if the ground got steeper."

     You pulled the wisteria out of your pocket. It was wilted and the petals were browning, but the sweet scent of the flower still lingered.

     Thinking back on your grandmother and her wisteria garden, you realized she never told you why she planted the flowers. Every time you asked, she just smiled and said 'In all due time, the answers will come to you.'

Flashback: (3rd person POV)

     "Grandma!"

     A much younger (Y/n) ran up to an elderly lady.

     The lady set down her watering can, and turned to face the child.

     The two were in a garden, filled with a variety of plants and flowers. It was nearly a jungle, different vines and branches blurring together to form an almost canopy.

     But the sight to behold was the wisteria. Several high-arcing trellises were covered with the purple flowers. Here and there were the not-as-common white ones, but the light perfume from them wove throughout the space.

     "Yes (Y/n)?" Her grandmother said, her expression kind.

     "Why do you plant wisterias?"

     Her grandmother paused, looking thoughtful. Then she smiled, one of those smiles that tell of a secret yet to be told.

     "In all due time, the answers will come to you, (Y/n). You just have to be patient."

    The girl scrunched her face up. She didn't want to wait, she wanted them now!

     "But grandmaaa, I don't wanna wait! Can't you tell me?" She paused, then leaned in. "It can be our secret." She said conspiratorially.

     Her grandmother's eyes were with laughter, at the antics of the small child in front of her.

     "Ah, (Y/n)." She said, "One day I will tell you. But for now, let's go inside. I think the cookies we made earlier are done."