Chapter Six: Final Selection

——————————

Key:

Bold text = English

——————————

     "Welcome to the Final Selection."

     Kiriya and Kanata said in unison.

     Small wisteria petals fell through the air. They gave a sense of calm and peace, despite the trial at hand.

     "Here you will be tested on your worth to become a demon slayer." Kiriya said.

     Observing the additional attendees, you saw a variety of expressions.

     Terror, excitement, anger, and amazement.

     "You must survive for seven days on this mountain," Kanata continued, "Mount Fujikasane is home to demons, trapped within the wisteria boundaries."

     "To pass, one must reach the summit by the dawn of the eighth day." Kiriya added.

     "The test," the twins said in unison, "Begins now."

     A bell rang, the sound echoing through the trees.

     Trainees took off into the forest, and within minutes, you were the only remaining person.

     "The test has already begun." Kanata repeated. "Please enter the forest to begin, or forfeit the trial."

     "May I take one?" You pointed to the wisteria flowers.

     The two children regarded you, for a moment. Their unblinking eyes stared back at you.

     "Go ahead," Kiriya suddenly said. "It might not do any good for you, but if you wish to take a flower, you may."

     "Thank you." You moved to one of the lower branches, plucking a clump of wisteria. "Wisteria always reminded me of my grandmother. She grew some in her backyard, and called it a tribute to an old friend of the family."

     You stepped into the forest, and vanished silently within the branches.

Third Person POV:

     The two children watched the girl disappear into the trees.

     "There's something different about her." Kiriya broke the silence that followed..

     "She's not going to survive." Kanata said immediately. "It's always the kinder ones that die first. They die protecting others."

     Kiriya moved his head to look at his sister. "And sometimes they're the ones who will do the most in this world." His voice contained a bit of a challenge, as if he was daring his sister to counter what he said. He stared at the spot where the girl had vanished into the wisteria. "Whoever she is.. that girl holds a power no one can reckon with. I'm just not sure what." 

Your POV:

     Your footsteps pounded on the earth below you. After entering the woods, you had entered a run. With Total Concentration Breathing helping boost your stamina, you hadn't stopped.

     If I head east, the sun will rise earlier than if I headed any other direction.

Moments after, a bloodcurdling scream echoed through the forest.

     There's the first of many. You thought grimly.

     You ran into a clearing and then paused. Something was off. The night air was too still.