Chapter Fourteen: Allies

Song: Control - Halsey

——————————

Key:

Bold text = English

——————————

WARNING: MINOR LANGUAGE USAGE

     "Miyu-san?!" You said in disbelief. "I- What are you doing here? What's going on?"

     "No time to explain." She replied, brushing past you, stepping into your room. "No one hurt?"

     Her gaze settled on Tanjiro for a moment, then flicked away.

     "No." You replied. "Lucky for me, Tanjiro woke me up before anything else could happen."

     A spark of interest lit Miyu's eyes, and your own narrowed at the sight of it.

     "Anyways." She turned away from the two of you. "If it isn't clear already there is a demon present on the property."

     Yeah no sh*t.

     You rolled your eyes.

     Tanjiro took in a sharp breath, and you turned your head towards him.

     "I can smell it." He whispered. "It's... below us."

     "We have to move. And fast." Miyu vanished out the door. Her head poked back around a second later. "Come, there's no time to waste."

     "Follow her lead." You said to Tanjiro. "We have no clue what is happening, and as much as I hate to admit it, she's more qualified for the leadership role right now."

     He gave you a firm nod, before darting out the door.

     You followed shortly, glancing down the hallway on both sides.

     "I know you can hear this (Y/n)-san." Miyu's voice was picked up by your acute hearing. "Tanjiro-san and I are together right now. We've gone down the left side of the hall, approaching the stairway that leads to the dinery. I do not expect you to reply, and if you did, I would not be able to hear it. I trust that you will do the right thing."

      Miyu said nothing more, and you were unable to hear anything else besides your own rapid heartbeat.

     Let's get a move on.

     You crept down the right side of the hallway, flinching every time the floorboards creaked.

     Who knew missions would be this nerve wracking? You shivered. And it's not even my own mission...

     The scent of blood grew stronger the further you went down the hall, until you were nearly choking with every breath you took.

     Breathe through your mouth. You told yourself. You want to prepare for any possible outcomes.

     The smell radiated from one particular room, and you approached the door.

     You paused outside, trying to hear if anyone was moving.

     Wait. There's someone there.

     Frozen in place, your pulse sped up, eyes wide.

     Okay (Y/n), calm down. The breathing is too light to be a full grown adult. A child demon..?

     Pushing the door open, you were met with... a small girl. With a shock, you recognized her, as one of the children from the night before.