Chapter Nine: This Sure Isn't Normal...

——————————

Key:

Bold text = English

(e/c) = eye color

——————————

SLIGHT LANGUAGE USAGE!!

     A few weeks passed since you attended the Final Selection.

     Despite your first training regiment being over, you continued your daily routine of working out.

     You sparred with Tanjiro now, using bamboo sticks instead of real swords.

     The teen was improving rapidly, and more often than not, your duels ended in ties.

     Speaking of sparring, you hadn't seen Sabito at all. You and Makomo had talked several times, but you never chatted with him. Or saw him for that matter.

     You stepped outside, stretching your arms up to the sky, getting ready for the day. A quick glance around the clearing confirmed your suspicions.

     No sight of Sabito...

     Slightly annoyed now, you went back inside the cabin. Tanjiro was tending to the fire, and Urokodaki was who-knows-where.

     "Good morning Tanjiro-san." You said.

     "Oh!" The male noticed you. "Good morning (Y/n)-san."

     "I trust your training is going well?" You asked.

     He nodded.

     "That's good." You smiled.

     You sat next to him, watching as the embers of the fire flickered and died.

     Tanjiro stopped putting wood in the fire, an unrecognizable expression on his face.

     "Say, (Y/n)-san..." his eyes met yours. "Do you know anyone named Sabito-san and Makomo-san?"

     You remained quiet. Unsure of how to respond, you simply sat there.

     "Sorry, I shouldn't have asked." Tanjiro panicked, apologizing.

     Breaking out of your trance, you stopped the male.

     "N-no, it's okay," you started. "I just had no idea how to reply. I do know them."

     Relief and happiness lit up Tanjiro's face.

     "O-oh, that's good. How long have you known them?"

     "Since I first arrived." You laughed. "Makomo was the one who found me in the first place."

     Tanjiro froze. "Found you..?"

     You stopped as well, realizing you had never told him how Urokodaki adopted you.

     "...It's a complicated story." Your gaze dropped to the floor. "One that will require time for me to share."

     "I understand." Tanjiro patted your shoulder. "Some things need time to heal. Know that I'm here for you okay? Even though we don't know each other very well yet, I sense that you are a kind person (Y/n)-san."

     "Thank you..." you whispered, your (e/c) eyes meeting his crimson ones. "The same goes for you Tanjiro-san."

     The two of you smiled at each other, another step in your friendship taken.

     The more you looked at Tanjiro, the more you felt like something should happen.

     You didn't know what made you do it, but you leaned forward.