Chapter 185

The Bokuto house hasn't had a serene night in a while. If it isn't Norika's crying, or Hiroki waking up from a nightmare that disrupts them, then it's Keiji's sleepless nights.

Koutarou woke up just 4am to go to the bathroom. The dark and quiet of the house disoriented him at first. Keiji soundly slept next to him and none of the kids could be heard crying. Things felt normal for a minute. He used the bathroom in peace and looked forward to going back to bed to crash until morning. The mark on his neck tingled and when he returned to the bedroom he knew why.

A half awake Keiji reached his hand to the empty side of the bed. "Kou?"

"Right here," The alpha climbed back into bed. He brought his forehead down to rest against Keiji's, "Can I get you anything?"

"No, just cuddle," He mumbled in a half asleep state. "It's cold."

Koutarou carefully settled under the blankets and cautiously wrapped his arm around his mate's waist. Keiji is still in a bit of pain, more when he twists his body a certain way. His side is healing well so physically he's okay. The mental impact that night had, however, still plagues him constantly.

The two were wound together warmly, almost asleep again. A mix of strawberry and chocolate clouded the space and comforted both— only for a second.

Loud, wailing screams jolted them awake. Koutarou untangled himself from Keiji and jumped out of bed. He ran out of the room and Keiji struggled to quickly keep up.

They followed the screaming down the hall to Hiroki's room and barged in to see what's wrong. The pup flailed in bed, screaming and crying in his sleep.

"Hiro, wake up," Koutarou grabbed him into a hug and held him close, "You're okay."

Keiji crowded his way into view so when Hiro finally opened his eyes he saw the omega's face. He ran a hand through the pup's hair, "It was a bad dream. We're right here, it was only a bad dream."

"A dream?" Hiro whimpered.

"A bad dream," Kou affirmed as he comfortingly rocked their son.

Keiji put a hand over his heart and sighed. No one is in danger. It's another one of Hiro's night terrors that have gotten progressively worse. The pup's buttery caramel scent is bitterly laced with fear, hanging heavy in the air. Whatever his nightmare was about, it really frightened him. He's never reacted this terribly and either Keiji or Kou can notice his sour scent beforehand and wake him up from the dream before things go south.

Hiro's eyes were wide with fear, his breathing rapid. He keeps dreaming about the man who hurt his dad. How that man will come back and hurt them again. He worries during the day, bu not even sleep offers him any kind of break.

Keiji winced as his side ached. The startled adrenaline kept him from feeling the pain in his side until he was taking deep breaths to calm his heart rate. He's more bothered by their normally happy and confident son looking so scared.

The door creaked open and Michio wandered in. The younger rubbed at his eyes and wandered over to his brother. He hoisted himself up onto the bed and scooted against Hiro's side. The little alpha's scent rousted him from sleep. He had no idea Hiro had been screaming only a minute before, but knew how upset he is by the acrid scent all throughout the upper floor.

Speaking off, Norika picked up distress and cried from her room. Keiji gave one last look to Hiro, making sure he's secure in Kou's arms, before going to soothe the youngest.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you." Koutarou said as he scented both boys.

Michio sleepily yawned and kept his head against Hiro's shoulder.