The First Encounter

Requilla POV

Life was never easy for me.

Growing up with drug addict parents and an abusive boyfriend, I never understood the true definition of love or what it meant to be truly loved.

It's a complete waste of time, in my opinion. A false emotion dreamt up by humans to make us believe we share some form of bond. Because whether you like it or not, the person you choose to become attached to will always turn on you or abandon you.

So, what's the point?

What's the point on allowing yourself to go through that pain?

It's best to avoid becoming battered, bruised, and alone by not becoming attached to anyone and keeping everyone at a distance, so that you're not left hurt when they choose to leave or break your trust.

"Look like tonight ago pack, uh sure you waa do this?"

(It looks like it is going to be a full night, are you sure you want to do this?) "Yasmine; my best friend stated as she looks through the curtains. She was the only person I trusted since I moved here three years ago from Jamaica.

I had just arrived in Los Angeles the day prior and was searching for job when she bumped into me and spilled her drink all over my clothes. She apologized and attempted to clean it up, but the stain only seemed to become worse. After letting her know that it's okay, she insisted on buying me a new shirt. I declined the offer, but she was persistent. Our friendship blossom from that day.

She had helped me to get back on my feet. Allowing me to live with her until I was able to afford my very first apartment.

I learnt she was from Jamaica as well, however from Montego Bay, whereas I was from the St. Mary area. I was delighted that the first person I met in this foreign place was a Jamaican. Now, I don't have a problem with people of various races, but knowing she was from my country gave me the confidence and determination to start something new, something of my own.

She did eventually gain my trust and I confided in her about my past, and from that point on, she had become overprotective of me. It's so strange to know that someone was concerned about me. So caring and patient. But as time passed, I became accustomed to it. It was nice to have someone to lean on whenever the recollections of the past were too much to handle

She had even help me into getting a job at Desire, the club where she works. It wasn't the best job, but it paid well and offered me a low profile, which I desperately needed at the time.

She was a genuinely blessed soul, and I am eternally grateful of her

The club was set in a unique fashion. It would go by themes depending on the months and holidays. We were also allowed to wear masks to conceal our identities; I've worn mine since I first started working here, but tonight I felt compelled to unveil my face for the first time. I'm not sure why; whether it's because it's been three years since I fled my violent ex and I'm tired of hiding, or perhaps it's because it's my birthday tonight and I wanted to make a big reveal, so our customers would know the face behind the club's well-known dancer. I'm not sure which one was the cause. But I knew I didn't want to hide any longer.