Whenever You're Ready

That night would be different. He wouldn't be right next to me. My father commanded him to get some rest. This is my chance. I climbed out of bed, grabbing supplies from my empty room, tying my hair back into a ponytail, deciding against wearing a dress. This is my chance to be without him for the whole trip. If he doesn't know where I am, he won't be able to bother me. I took a breath, slinging my bag over my shoulder, sneaking out of my room, into the dark hallways. There was no one stopping me. The knights guarding the doors all down the halls wouldn't say anything because it was none of their business. If they said anything, I could simply command them to go back to guarding the room in which they were told to. This would make my sneaking out so much easier. I was determined to check on the divine beasts and the progress in which we had made with the guardians after everything else. I made my way down to the kitchen, grabbing a couple things to eat, putting them into my bag, not forgetting water. This was going to be the best trip I had ever been on, no one to tell me what and what not to do, no one following me wherever I go, no eyes staring into my soul.

************************************

So far, so good. I haven't run into any strange creatures and am now very close to Rito Village. This trip has been somewhat strange, seeing as Link had still not managed to catch up with me. I'm not worried. The snow fell from the heavens, painting the sky with many ice crystals. It was sunrise. The sky expressed its emotions with the colors purple, blue and pink. The snow copying the colors of the never-ending sky. The wind cold to the touch. It's truly beautiful. I ran up the side of the mountain, wanting to get to Rito Village as fast as I could. It was cold and if I didn't make it there by nightfall, I might have been buried in the snow.

************************************

I have made it to some strange house on the top of the mountain. All of the villagers said that Revali spent most of his time up here. I walked out onto the landing pad, looking around for the divine beast pilot but saw nothing. I looked up at the divine beast, seeing it fly overhead. He might be up there but there's no way I can get up there. I sighed to myself before being swept off my feet, seeing the ground disappear under me. I screamed, not knowing what was happening, landing on the divine beast, Vah Medoh. I looked above me, seeing a flash of blue before hearing something hit the ground behind me. I turned fast seeing Revali, laughing at me. I sighed a bit, my heart racing.

"You nearly gave me a heart attack!" I screamed, taking deep breaths. He laughed at me again before responding.

"The villagers informed me that you were here. I wanted to make your visit more interesting and also get you away from that knight of yours. He really is quite the pest." Revali said, smirking a bit.

"He's not here anyways. I've come to make some repairs on your divine beast and to make sure everything is working properly." I claimed, smiling a bit.

"He lost you? Some knight he is. Do whatever you want with it. I fully trust you. Vah Medoh has been acting up lately." He sighed a bit, flying off into the sky hastily. I laughed a little, before doing as I said I would. We have to make sure everything is in place for this battle against the Calamity. If we don't do this right, all of Hyrule could be wiped out. We have to make our ancestors proud, no matter the cost.

************************************

I breathed out, wiping the sweat from my forehead before making my way out of the divine beast. The steering was off quite a bit but now that shouldn't be a problem anymore and Revali should have no trouble piloting the machine. I stepped up out of the divine beast to notice the view. You could practically see everything from up here. There wasn't a sound to be heard but the wind. I smiled a bit at everything. I wish it could be like this all the time. After a couple minutes, I looked around the divine beast for Revali, wanting to make my way to Goron city before dark but he was nowhere to be found. I walked back to where I was, looking down at the landing pad to see that Revali was down there with someone else. I wasn't sure who it was but he was talking to him. I sat down, Revali walked around the person before flying up to where I was, landing with grace.

"I'm ready to go now. I fixed the steering so now Vah Medoh won't go wherever it wants to. This should help a lot during the fight." I smiled, standing up, brushing myself off. He nodded slowly looking at everything before responding.

"I'm sure it will. Thank you for your help though, I wouldn't go down there if I were you. Your weakling of a knight is down there looking for you." Revali scoffed, rolling his eyes. How did he know I would come here first?

"Well then I would like to remain-" Before I could finish my sentence, I watched as the ground disappeared before my feet again, being carried down to the landing platform.

"Good luck sealing the darkness!" Revali shouted, flying back up to his divine beast. I sighed a bit, hearing the footsteps of my knight drawing near, surprised by the feeling of his hand on my wrist, forcing me to turn towards him. When I met his eyes, it was like a shot to the heart. He's worried. Link was breathing heavily and clearly hadn't slept in days. He was expressing emotion yet he tried so hard to hide it.

"L-Link-"

"You had the whole kingdom worried. Are you that selfish to go against your father's wishes? I'm trying to protect you and yet you don't even seem to care in the slightest. I've been running for days, looking for you. Luckily I stumbled across one of the Rito who had been informed that you were supposed to be guarded by me at all times. You can't run off like that. I was worried something terrible had happened to you. If you wanted to get up early in the morning and go to Rito Village, you should've told me." Link gasped, still unable to catch his breath. My whole world was shaken. He spoke to me. He did. He said so much. He can speak. He can talk. He feels. I couldn't help but smile a bit. He was completely exhausted and mad at me but I didn't care. He had shown so much more of himself today and yet it all dissappeared as soon as he caught his breath. He went back to the same emotionless knight. He went back to not responding to me at all. He just stared at me like he always did. I wanted to scream at him but I couldn't. He was so worried and yet, he went back to his emotionless self. Why? I had no clue. I didn't understand why he continued to act as though he was a machine. He didn't seem to care whether I had feelings or not. He just continued to taunt me even though I assumed he knew that it made me feel so much anger towards him. He's the same old knight I always knew. He lost himself almost as fast as time flies by. It didn't matter what I had to say or whether I responded to him in a certain way. He just continued on with whatever was next or whatever I wanted to do. 

************************************

After we left Rito Village, Link and I walked back towards Hyrule Field. This whole time, Link didn't speak a word to me and remained emotionless even though He had practically spoken a paragraph to me a couple days ago. Maybe if I open up to him, he will open up to me? I shook my head a bit before deciding to talk to him even though I know he won't respond.

"From here we'll make our way to Goron City. Then, we'll need some adjustments on that divine beast so Daruk can manage it as easily as possible. He's figured out how to get it to move; however, it's apparent that we still have much more to learn. But to think, that divine beast was actually built by people. That means we should be able to understand how it works and how to use it to our advantage. These divine beasts, so much we don't know, but if we want to turn back Calamity Ganon, they're our best hope." I finished, almost trying to reassure myself that everything was going to be alright. Maybe if I ask... I started to slow down, thinking about how I could put this so Link would have no choice but to respond or completely ignore me. If he ignores me, I would hopefully be able to tell that he is either angry with me still or would rather not talk to me. If that is not the case and he does talk to me, I will be able to tell that he doesn't hate me and is not mad at me. I stop completely, ready to ask him.

"Tell me the truth... How proficient are you right now wielding that sword on your back? Legend says that an ancient voice resonates inside it... Can you hear it yet... Hero?" I asked, looking at him over my shoulder. He stared at me for a bit before I saw him considering it. He was thinking. He was hearing me yet he said nothing in response and merely continued to watch me. This stunted my theory. Instead of talking he considered my words yet he didn't speak which could mean that he doesn't care or maybe he does care but won't bother to show it? It doesn't make any sense. I sighed to myself, continuing to walk forward. Someday... maybe... you'll open up to me. Someday... you'll need someone to talk to and once you do, I'll be there for you... whenever you're ready.