Demons Stunt Growth

Today we made it to Goron City. It was a lot hotter than I thought it would be even though I knew this place was surrounded by lava. It was a nice change from Rito Village. It was way too cold there. Me and Link met up with Daruk almost immediately. Daruk had already managed to get the hang of steering his divine beast though he said that it struggled to move sometimes. I went to investigate this while Daruk and Link stayed behind. During this time, I wondered if Link would talk to Daruk. If he did, maybe he didn't respect me at all yet if he didn't, it would be a great signal that he's dealing with something else. I finished what I was doing and made my way out of the divine beast. I jumped down, landing upright on some nearby rocks.

"I'll protect this land of ours to the death!" I heard Daruk talking. I stayed where I couldn't see them so they wouldn't suspect that I was there. I wanted to know if Link did talk while I wasn't around. I peeked around the rocks, getting a view of the two of them.

"Right Little guy?" Daruk asked Link, smacking him on the back. Link gasped for air as all of it was expelled from his lungs, having got the wind knocked out of him. Daruk laughed at him as Link struggled to breathe.

"Hey by the way, congrats on becoming the Princess's appointed knight! That's a really big deal! Protecting the King's daughter. No pressure! Seriously though... The Princess has a strong personality. So strong, she can't quite see the range for the peaks. Remember that and you'll be fine." Daruk says. I sighed a bit. He was right yet I wish he wasn't.

"I wish you had told me that when I started. It would've helped me these last few days. The Princess has been trying to get away from me with every chance she gets and yet she continues to talk to me in all my silence. I wish... she understood." Link said, looking at the ground, his whole demeanor changing. Understood what? What am I not getting? Why can't he tell me this?

"Take heart, little guy. She'll figure it out sooner or later. Continue to do your job as you have. Things will work out eventually-" Daruk encouraged before being interrupted by Link.

"You make it sound so easy. You think that not speaking is helping the Princess at all? She's fearful about everything and doesn't understand my motives or what her father wants. I don't think she even knows what her father expects of me." Link shook his head, frowning. He was expressing so much. I wish he would do that in front of me.

"Well... what's bothering you so much then?" Daruk asks, scratching the back of his head a bit.

"I... It's not important." Link exhaled, shaking his head a bit, looking away from Daruk.

"Are you okay?" Daruk continued to talk to him even though Link seemed to be shutting down. Link didn't say anything. He merely just shrugged, leaving the conversation at a stop. So he does this to everyone yet he speaks to people still. It makes sense yet I don't understand why he doesn't talk to me. Suddenly the ground began to shake. I stumbled backward, catching myself. The more the ground shook, the closer I got to the nearby pit of lava. I wanted to scream but thought Link would immediately know I had been watching him which would've left a bigger hole in our relationship. I can handle this.I stood up, falling backwards, nearing the edge. I suddenly heard this horrid sound from above me. The top of one of the peaks had broken because of the strange earthquake and there was a giant rock heading right towards me. I tried to move forward but ended up falling to the ground because of all the shaking. No. Not now! Please! I screamed as loud as I could, knowing it was already too late. The rock was going to hit me and I would fall into the lava faster than I could process it. I closed my eyes, feeling something hit me, knocking all the wind out of me, landing on the ground. The whole earth was still and yet I felt no pain whatsoever. I opened my eyes slowly to see the huge rock in which I was worried about in front of me with Link right under it, collapsed on the ground. My heart dropped. He pushed me... out of the way. I got up so fast I almost fell back to the ground, running as fast as I could over to him.

"Link! Are you alright?!" I yelled, falling to my knees beside him. I tried to move him slightly only to have his hand push my hand away. Tears were falling down my face. He looked so peaceful yet I knew he was in so much pain. His head down to his torso was able to avoid the rock but his other half was smashed by it. I held his hand, trying to comfort him the best I could. He looked up at me weakly, his whole expression screaming at me. He's hurting so much. I yelled for Daruk so loudly my voice hurt. He was already running and as soon as he got there, was able to lift the rock off of Link. A couple minutes later, Link had let sleep take over and became completely unconscious. Daruk and I made our way back into town and the one medic that was there that day was able to help Link the best he could. I never left his side. It was all my fault. If I had just gone straight to them, none of this would've happened. He sacrificed himself for me and did it without hesitation. Link was okay yet he had suffered a mild concussion and a few broken bones. The medic informed me that he should stay here for a while before continuing on. This made me somewhat upset but I didn't care at this point. Link had saved my life and in return, he received urgent care. This isn't what he deserved at all.

I sighed to myself, shifting in my chair, resting my head on the bed in which Link lay. He slept so peacefully like the time in the forest yet I wasn't this worried about him then. I didn't care about him at all and I still didn't... and to think after all of this... I stayed by his side. I could've run away but instead I chose to stay right next to him day after day. He had been unconscious for a week now and the medic left yesterday. This made me very uneasy. What if he never wakes up?

************************************

I awoke slowly from a sound sleep. I didn't want to wake up. I wanted to sleep until Link opened his eyes. I just want him to be okay... yet he's shown no signs of waking anytime soon. I sighed to myself, sitting up in my chair, looking at Link's limp body. I took his hand gently, laying back down on the edge of the bed, closing my eyes, trying to fall asleep again but to my surprise, Link's hand moved in mine, his thumb moving up and down the side of my hand, telling me that he was alright. I practically jumped out of my seat, looking at him. His eyes were still closed but he was fighting to wake up. He stretched a bit before opening his eyes slowly, staring at me in both confusion and exhaustion.

"Hi." I said, knowing he won't respond but I didn't want him to think something was wrong. I wanted him to be able to relax and not have to worry about me. He smiled a bit before going back to how he always was... emotionless. I hated it so much but I got to see him smile for a mere second which was enough for me. Someday he'll feel safe or I'll finally figure out what's going on in the mind of the swordsman that possesses the sword that seals the darkness. Nothing will go unseen. He just needs time... just like me. And luckily I've learned quite a bit about being patient. If he needs time, I'll give it to him, but I still want to talk to him so he's not caught in his thoughts all the time. I know too well what that feels like.

So I'll wait for your courage to grow over time. I'll let you process your emotions until you're ready to let them go. You don't have to be alone anymore. So I'll wait for you to come back and tell me all about your demons that have pledged you as they did me.