A Watery Revival

I don't know what came over me. I wanted to say no to her pleading for me to go with her. There really was no reason why I should go with her. I knew this would bother Zelda seeing as the expression on her face changed within seconds of me taking one single step forward. She'll definitely want to talk about this when I get back. What am I gonna say? Sure... being with the princess and falling in love with her every passing moment seems great but it's also illegal. I have to think about this.

"You look much different since the last time I saw you." Mipha began, sitting down on the step of the trunk, smiling at me. I breathed out, taking a few steps forward but didn't dare sit next to her. Here we go.

"You can come sit down if you'd like. It might be more comfortable." Mipha suggested. I shook my head no, not wanting to even have a thought of talking to her pass through my mind. She'll probably try to make things more official then they already are if I say anything. Best to stick with my agreement with the king. That way I have a reason to not speak.

"About this engagement." Mipha brought up almost immediately, seeming somewhat disappointed that I'm not next to her. Deep breaths.

"You are still planning on going through with this right? I know you agreed awhile ago but it's important to me that I know exactly what you're thinking." Mipha stood up, walking towards me. Maybe I should say something?

"I know you don't want to discuss it but it's important for the future of Zora's Domain." Mipha seemed to finish, only a few inches away from me.

"I'm not interested. Let me go now." I said, trying to turn away from her but she grabbed my arm gently, pushing me so that I was facing her again.

"When did this change? You were the one who proposed after all-"

"Mipha, I don't want this! I proposed to you when I was 14 because you said that it was an option for Zora's to get married at your age. I didn't know what I was doing. I was young and in love and you took advantage of me because you put these damned fantasies in my head. I hated all of it. I don't want any part in any of this. I don't want to rule, I don't want my own kingdom, I can't spend the rest of my life stuck here with you!" I practically shouted, not really knowing where this anger rushing throughout my body was coming from.

"But we would be free Link! You don't understand-"

"I do understand! I can't marry someone I'm not even in love with anymore, Mipha. I can't do that. I may have made a promise so many years ago and I know I said my feelings wouldn't change, but you can't expect me to stay my 14 year old self. I'm not in love with you anymore." I said, somewhat disappointed by the words coming out of my mouth. Like my inner child was screaming at me for some unknown reason.

"Link... you promised me and now... you have to keep that promise. My father... is dying." Mipha said under her breath. My heart sank into the deepest pit of my stomach.

"He says he's fine over and over and over again but I know very soon he will die in his sleep. Muzu was worried and he was asking about it yesterday. He wants to know as well. He says he hates you but we need someone who can rule Zora's Domain. I can't do it alone." Mipha starts to tear up, taking the ring that I gave to her so many years ago off of her finger. I sighed shakily.

"You have no choice. It's too late. Please... tell the king that your duties lie here with the royalty of Zora's Domain.... I'm begging you... please... keep your word. Don't make me have to bury my father knowing I'll have to find someone whom I'll marry only for the sake of being married." Mipha's tears began to run down her face.

"I don't love you I'm... I'm in love with someone else." I admitted, hoping this would somehow get me out of this mess.

"Link... you made a promise... A promise you swore you would keep... A promise you said you would fulfill in front of my father... You can't back out now. It's too late to change your mind. You knew what you were getting into. If you were unsure then, you should've said something." Mipha sighed, now on the verge of sobs.