Words Can Cut Down Walls

I don't know if I regret what I said. I feel as though I had to say that and yet, the expression that was so clear on his face hurt me more than I hurt him. If he would talk to me, I think we would be able to settle everything between us but he remains silent still.

Link surprised me sometimes. He didn't leave my side even after I told him to go. He watched me instead, almost curious about what I was doing. I would've asked him for help, seeing as the shrine should activate if he tried but I wanted to truly test myself to see if I had learned anything from my research at the castle. Apparently, I hadn't learned enough.

As we started on our way to Gerudo Town, I noticed something about Link. Whenever I'm talking to him, he stares at me as though he's trying so hard to understand me and when I'm not talking, he still stares. This would freak some people out but I see it differently. He's trying to understand my motives and actions. He's not forcing me to say anything or do anything at all. He's studying me. It's strange but in a way, it tells me that he's not just watching me because my father commanded him to.

************************************

We stopped as the sunset. Link built a fire and made us some sort of stew. I was grateful for him for the first time. I realized I haven't been kind to him in the slightest. I wondered if I was silent for long enough if he would actually talk to me. I knew I couldn't accomplish something like that but I wanted to try. I have to know what you're like, how you think, what you dream of, what you're interested in, if you... despise me.

"Link?" I called on him without thinking about it, not really having anything to say. He had taken a seat across from me on the other side of the fire. He looked up at me, pausing in his actions to eat. I thought for a while before continuing to speak.

"Do you... Are you... Your silence is not something that makes much sense to me. You... don't utter a sound when I'm around and yet... you spoke to Daruk so easily. And yes... I was watching you. I know that's strange and that I really shouldn't get in the middle of everything but... I feel as though I'm going insane. All my life, I've wanted someone to talk to... someone to reach out to and feel heard. I've had my father and my maids but none of them listen as much as you do. I know you listen because whenever I seem to speak, it's almost as if you were a flower. Flowers can slowly wilt or die if they're not cared for. They begin to feel neglected or unseen until... you give them water or sunlight. They perk up immediately when given what they want... what they... desire. I know... you can talk and you wish to as well and yet for some reason, your silence is never ending." I paused, catching a glimpse of Link thinking for a mere milla second. He stared at me after that, waiting for me to finish. He really shouldn't have looked at me then. I knew his walls were starting to crack and if I continued to talk to him, he would break very quickly. I have to try.

"You mentioned something about my father and what he requires of you. You spoke with Daruk briefly about it and shortly after that, shut down. I didn't know that you would do that with other people. It seems as though you didn't in the past. I don't... know you. You're... a mystery to me. I'm not sure why you're choosing to bear your burdens alone. I know that people are not easily trusted but I want you to know that I will keep your secrets and walk with you through the dark hallways of your thoughts or even, help repair your past if necessary-"

"You can't fix anything!" Link suddenly almost shouted. I jumped, having not expected him to yell. I took a breath, trying to figure out what he had meant by that... if he truly had meant those words.

"No... I can't fix everything. I just... want to know who you are as a person. What you like, what you do in your free time... I'm not trying to resolve everything for you. I just want to know you." I said softly, trying to keep him in the conversation. He had already expressed so much and I was glad for that but just those words weren't enough for me. I'm not greedy for wanting more of you... right? I watched him, the tension only building, he was looking away from me now and I could already tell he was anxious. His arms were shaking and it seemed as though he was terrified. Part of me wanted to go over to him and wrap him in my arms but I knew that wouldn't solve what I was trying to understand. I have to know you... the sword's chosen one... Link.

"Link, I don't want to make you uncomfortable. I want-" I gasped as a single tear streaked his face. He's... crying? But why? He sighed slowly and his eyes lost their expression. No. Not again. I won't let this happen again. I stood up fast, rushing over to him without thinking, my hands cupping his face, sitting right in front of him, my face only inches away from his. His eyes widened and his emotions seemed to pause in their descendance. I could see... everything. His pain, his fear, his worry, his inner war, his confusion, and disbelief.

"Don't leave me... again... please." I whispered, knowing that I was going to lose him but I had to try and bring him back to me if I could.

"As painful as your life may be... I want to know what the sword's chosen one is like. I want to know who the boy that walks behind me everyday is. I want to know who Link is... and maybe... who he pretends to be. Don't leave me again." Time seemed to stop. Link was frozen in place and I didn't dare to move. I could only see him. His expression didn't change but it didn't disappear either. The cold breeze rushed past us as we continued to stare at each other, desperate to find something valuable. Finally, Link broke the transe that the both of us had been in for what seemed like hours. He looked down at nothing and soon his emotionless self returned. I couldn't take it anymore. Tears fell from my eyes, landing on Link's face which made him jump slightly, looking back up at me. His eyes shifted so fast between the both of mine, desperately searching for something. I shakily sighed, letting him go, standing up slowly.

"How long will it take for you to crack? How long will it take for you to show me who you truly are? Are you as great as the people say you are or do you lack guidance and play the part of a hero just for the glory and the praise? How long will the said hero of Hyrule, dwindle in a never ending darkness that plagues the thoughts of the true person I see behind those eyes?" Link's eyes welled up with tears then. He was hurting but I wasn't going to push him. I turned away from him, walking over to the set of bags that we had taken with us, grabbing a blanket, laying it out on the ground.

"Your highness... I can't-"

"You can... and someday... you will."

You have to... one day... you'll speak to me fluently or this task will torture me until I simply can't take it anymore and I'll drag the words out of you... if I must.