Worthlessness Can Define You

It's been a couple days since we left Goron City. I've been wanting to check out some ruins that I had found later on in the trip but Link would have no part in it. He didn't explain why or even give me the faintest clue of what he knows. I've been trying to be nice but I think this whole thing is outrageous... So like I did a couple months ago, I snuck off, leaving my knight in the middle of the field alone. I knew he would be fine. He was tired that night so it was my chance to escape and research these shrines that had appeared so suddenly. I wanted to know all about them and would do anything to find the information behind them. I made my way through the fields at almost daybreak. I knew Link would have no idea where I was, which would at least buy me some time to thoroughly look at everything these shrines had to offer. I wasn't worried at all. I had done this many times already and nothing bad had happened yet. Even if something bad were to happen, I'm sure I could handle it. I borrowed one of his daggers just in case this situation made itself visible. The fields were beautiful in the morning, the breeze gently blowing the grass, the birds singing, the fresh air invading my lungs. Mornings truly were miraculous.

As the shrine came into view, I decided to run towards it, wanting to hurry and make sure I had enough time to look at everything I wanted to know.

************************************

It's funny... Link hadn't shown himself yet and it was past noon. I'm sure he's alright though. I shouldn't be worried. He's probably lost and has no clue where I am still. I laughed a bit to myself, standing up slowly, placing the sheikah slate on top of the pedestal to this strange shrine.

"Nothing... just as I thought." I said to myself quietly. This whole knight situation had started to grow on me. Instead of talking to anyone, I was talking to myself. If he wouldn't talk to me, I would just have to talk to myself. This is ridiculous. I sighed to myself, looking up at the design of the shrine, noticing some of the sheikah writing on the edge of it. To be honest, I had no idea what any of it meant but I would have to figure it out unless I never wanted to figure out this mystery. I tried to put the slate on the pedestal again only to get nothing once more. Nothing again. There's got to be a way. I then noticed some symbols on the side of the shrine.

"It appears that this structure was designed to be exclusively accessed by the sword's chosen one. But designs can always be worked around... at least I hope." I examined, looking at the structure once more, realizing that some designs are not easily worked around. I inhaled a bit to myself, looking at the pedestal again.

"How do I get inside? I need to activate it somehow..." There had to be some way I could get in. Designs created by people should be able to be worked around by people. It makes sense... Unless what we're dealing with is some strange creature in which we have never seen before which isn't likely. I breathed, taking in the strange structure once more. It's interesting to think about the fact that these structures were built by people from a different time yet we don't understand the technology at all. We have to research everything before we can actually find out what the purpose of each thing originally was. It's upsetting in a way and yet... finding the purpose of each individual thing is somewhat fulfilling. At least I can be of some help to this situation. I can't even do my job. This seems so much easier. I heard someone on a horse behind me suddenly as if this mysterious horse just appeared out of thin air. I jumped a bit, looking behind me to see my knight. That was too fast. Is he out of his mind? At this point, he has to know that I hate him. He won't leave me alone for a mere hour? He does his job too well. I wish he would simply fall off a cliff. Things would be so much easier then. If he wasn't here, maybe I would've discovered this forbidden power already. He deserves nothing. He's done nothing to gain the power he has. He's put no effort into his calling and merely pulled the sword out of the stone as if it was nothing and then he stays silent for no good reason? No. He's ignorant and foolish and worthless and can't even so much as tell me what I did wrong. What did I do to make him angry or sad enough to ignore my wishes and my words completely? I walked up to him. If he's going to act like a child... two can play at this game. I want nothing to do with him and will make it clear. He won't follow me anymore. I'm done playing around. He deserves nothing.

"I thought I made it clear that I'm not in need of an escort!" I started, watching him get off of his horse, running over to me.

"It seems I'm the only one with a mind of my own. I, the person in question, am fine regardless of the King's orders." Not even an expression on his face. How selfish is he?

"Return to the caste and tell that to my father please." Now he just has to leave me alone. He won't think twice. He can tell when he's unwanted. He's a human just like me. He's not oblivious otherwise he wouldn't be able to hear the dangers at night. He knows. I heard footsteps behind me. He's following me again? What is with him? I just basically told him to get lost and yet he decides to go around Hyrule like he owns the place. He truly is heartless just like my father. I turned fast on my heel, determined to get some peace for once.

"And stop following me!" I shouted at him. He jumped a bit at my yelling, his face going dark, almost like he had no more hope. He lost everything in the instant yet his facial expression didn't change at all. I had been with him for such a long time, I could notice the slight changes. And the type of emotion that he was expressing now, showed utter brokenness. He had given up completely. He was hurting. He was screaming for help and yet, no one heard him. He didn't speak about anything or tell me what to do and I had just broken everything in four words. My heart sank. He was breaking down even more. I could see it. He didn't try to hide it and yet no one would've been able to tell. My heart is breaking for him yet I can't even bring myself to be nice to him. I want to... but I can't. Who would want to love someone who hasn't had to work a day in their life? He's not worthless... he just hasn't done anything to prove himself... 

Neither have I.