Why Should I?

"Be careful. These rocks are loose. They could crumble from under your feet if you're not paying attention." Link says, holding my hand as we walked on a very thin ledge of a mountain. The rocks had already begun to fall out from under us. I had already looked down so many times but I never knew I was scared of heights. This situation was absolutely horrific for me. I couldn't stop shaking but I knew if I fell, Link would be able to save me but he would have to fall in my place because of the small ledge. Link continued to walk forward ahead of me, being very cautious in his steps, rubbing circles into my hand to try and calm me. It was doing little to nothing but I was grateful for the gesture. Link and I aren't exactly friends yet. I'm finally learning how to cope with him though. His silence is his choice... or maybe he's being forced by someone but that accusation seems completely out of the picture. I want to know more about him.

"Link, how much further?" I asked, having closed my eyes at this point, trying to think about anything else at the moment. Link sighed a bit, not answering my question, continuing to urge us onward. I opened my eyes again, keeping my eyes on him, doing everything in my power to not look at the deadly drop. Suddenly my foot slipped on an unstable rock. I screamed so loudly it hurt my ears but I barely felt myself fall before having Link grab my waist, pulling me closer to him. By this point, I couldn't stop shaking and my legs were threatening to give out. I felt something warm on my chin then, my head being lifted to meet Link's eyes. My heart jumped at his expression. He was... scared too. Yet... something in the way that he looked at me, sent me into what felt like a strong form of hypnosis. I couldn't look away from him.

"We can do this. We have to trust each other. I know you're scared but we don't have the option to fall. Everything's going to be alright. Just keep your eyes on me if that helps. Okay?" Link said in a soft and comforting tone that practically sent me out of consciousness. What am I feeling? This isn't normal. Am I sick? My heart is beating so fast yet I feel more peace than I've ever felt in my entire life. Link moved away from me then, taking my hand gently, continuing forward. My eyes didn't move from him. I was scared but it was easier. I trust him. That has to be it. I've developed a relationship with him and I'm starting to feel more safe around him. That's good. I won't have to worry anymore.

Link finally reached the end of the small path, pulling me off the path as well. I would've been fine and kept my balance but since he pulled me so fast away from the edge, I tripped and fell into him, knocking him to the ground. I landed on top of him, feeling the warmth of him, I got up slowly, our eyes meeting for a second. He had some color in his face and almost immediately looked away from me once I made eye contact. Link got up as soon as I was on my feet and we continued back towards death mountain.

************************************

"Do you ever... consider talking? I know your silence is for a reason but you always seem to struggle with that reason put into your head. It's not your own decision but you're doing this for someone else. You seem so... torn apart. You're keeping everything inside even though you wish to speak about everything. I wish... you trusted me enough with your secrets... or perhaps trust isn't even part of it." I said, looking over my shoulder at him. He was looking at me but immediately turned away once again.

"You listen... You're not ignoring me. Just tell me... why do you continue to not speak? Have I done anything to-"

"It's... not you." Link said, hesitating a bit. I stopped at this, turning to face him, wanting to hear what the reason was. Link stopped with me, staring at me.

"I'll listen to you. I won't get angry. You don't... have to hide yourself from me. I understand-"

"No you don't. You have no clue. If you did, you would've known why I don't speak to you, why I can't do anything else but look at you." Link argued, clearly frustrated and hurting. I'm getting to him. I have to keep up the pressure but he can't burst. This is almost impossible.