CHAPTER 12

VANESSA P.O.V

I woke up seeing Rashta still on my lap awake and reading.I can see she's doing her best to learn.I knew she has potential.I patted her head and she got startled,she looked up at me and smiled.

"Empress! Rashta has been trying to read this book but it's so hard when it's all just letters"she pouts at how boring the book is,it only consisting of words.

MOOD

"Would you prefer the ones with pictures then?"

"Is there books like that,Empress?"

"Yes,I will send them to your chambers later and some desserts for you to enjoy."

"Can Rashta come to the western palace to read stories with you,Empress?"

"Ofcourse, come anytime you want"

Rashta beamed at me and hugged me again.

This feels weird now that I think about it.Am I spoiling her too much?Am I perhaps treating her like how that asshole treats her?God,am I becoming like him?

No I can't think like this.What matters is the intention.His intentions were to use her and then toss her aside,my intention is to help her and keep her safe from the things that happened to her in the original.Rashta is desperate to be loved and have security.It would be better if I give her that than let her depend on a man that will just use her and lie that he had her best interests in mind.This is perhaps the only right thing I can do in this story.

We got up from the nest chair and went outside the garden.I saw that the ladies were whispering among themselves. They stopped when they saw us and bowed at us.I told the maids to accompany Rashta back to her chambers and I bid my farewell to Rashta.

I returned to my palace after sending Rashta back to her chambers, then slipped into comfortable clothes more quickly than usual. I unpinned the jewels from my hair and placed them on the dresser.

It's still early so I'll just have some tea and snacks.

Time passed and there was suddenly the click of the door behind me, but I didn't turn around.

Please tell me it's not who I think it is

"Your majesty,the Emperor-"

I frowned and turned around.

"Your majesty?What brings you here at this hour?"

"Why have you changed so much?!"

"What do you mean I've changed?"

"I'm talking about what happened with Rashta"

I felt my head throbbing.Again with this?I'm sick and tired of arguing with him.Isn't it enough I'm repulsed with his presence?

"Is this about the tea party?As I've said-"

"That's just another one!The one I'm talking about is what happened at the west palace garden.How could you?!You are my wife!"

For fuck sake!Again with that?!Why does word get around so fast?!And why does this asshole always confront me immediately about it?!

"That was simply just us bonding over reading.It meant nothing.If you didn't know,she doesn't know how to read so I was teaching her how to"

"While also letting her sit on your lap and sleep on top of you?How generous of you.I didn't know being taught by the Empress offers such a privilege"

"Clearly,you realize what she's been through.Doesn't she atleast deserve to be treated well?"

"I've been generous enough when I brought her to the palace and let her stay"

"But still,you are overreacting.This is not even a big deal-"

"Do you really need to constantly be by her side and treat her as such?"

"Rashta needs protection from the system that we,the most powerful figure in the empire,can't somehow even do anything about"

"And am I to blame for that?"

I wonder...

"I never said anything like that.Im just stating that as rulers,we have an obligation to take care of our people and Rashta is also one of our people. Don't you pity her?"

The bastard shut his mouth and gritted his teeth.

How funny.I just used his words in the original against him

I'm getting tired of this. I'll just do us both a favor and make this quick.

"I'm doing just as you requested"

"What do you mean?"

"You're the one that requested for me to help you take care of her."

"But you don't have to do so much for her like this.You should let me -"

"Oh,are you perhaps getting mad at me for doing a better job at something you should be doing?Let me remind you,you are the one at fault for getting her injured with those traps and you are the one that brought her here in the first place.I understand,your majesty.You hate it when someone does a better job and outshines you,but guess what,that's what happens when you work pathetically."

"Thats enough!I am your Emperor and you shall not speak to me that way!"

"Oh?Where's your argument then?Did I perhaps hit a nerve?You don't have anything else to say so your using your title now?You should know better that abilities matter more in this world.You claim to be an Emperor but are you really acting like one?You say I'm your wife but do you treat me as such?You're argument has too many flaws.I suggest you stop making a fool of yourself and act accordingly to your title"

"You've changed,Empress.I didn't realize you were capable of saying such horrid things "

"People change.You should understand that if you want to be a good emperor"

*
*
*

"Truly?Empress fought with the Emperor and she angrily yelled at him?For me?"

"She did! Apparently,they shouted loudly enough for their voices to carry through the halls!This is the first time the Empress has ever done that!And that's not all!She's sent many books especially for you along with desserts and snacks!"

"Oh my!Her majesty is so gallant!The Empress is incredible..."

"The Empress really loves you to even fight with the Emperor for your sake,Miss Rashta"

"Yes..."

"Well, how could anyone not love someone so beautiful and innocent?"

Rashta bowed her head and wiggled her toes shyly.

"Rashta is so happy these days. I feel like I'm dreaming every day."