CHAPTER 25

I made my way to my room when I heard footsteps behind me

"My Queen"

I quickly straightened up and turned around, and found Prince Heinley standing before me

"Prince Heinley,what brings you here?"

Heinley looked hesitant before he talked

"I actually came to see you,my Queen.I heard you have been personally taking care of Lady Rashta."

"Yes,I have.She is my responsibility.After what happened,I need to keep my eye on her more"

"Lady Rashta sure is lucky to have you my Queen"

Prince Heinley seems so timid talking about Rashta

Is he worried that I'm giving Rashta more attention?

Well it can't be helped.I did put myself up to this

"Ah...yes.Anyways,is there something else you needed Prince Heinley?"

"I wanted to check up on you my Queen,to see if there is anything I can do for you.You must have been working hard to keep Lady Rashta company"

"Well there is something delightful that you can do for me"

"What would that be,my Queen?"

"If you send Queen over to me"

"Ofcourse.I'll send him to you then"

"That would be lovely.Where is he?"

"I will return to my room and send him to you"

"Then shall we go together? I'd like to ask you some questions about him"

Prince Heinley looked as if he were caught by surprise, his purple eyes darting around the hall.

"W-what?"

I innocently smiled at him and looked at him confused

"Prince Heinley?"

"Uh,Queens a bit busy--- No,I mean,he's very shy.He'll be,um,embarrassed if we go and see him together "

Heinley kept rambling and I stared at him doubtfully,

It's so cute to see him try to hide his identity

He's all flushed so I should probably stop now

"I realize now that I was making an unreasonable request"

Heinley sighed in relief

"No,not at all...but what is it that you wanted to ask about Queen?"

"What does Queen like-"

"Your majesty"

"I beg your pardon?"

His face was so red. He looked quite embarrassed to talk about it.

"Queen likes your majesty"

So cute.

He must be embarrassed about describing a bird as if it were human.And also trying hard to not seem obvious that he is Queen

I smiled from the charming image

"Please tell him I appreciate it.But that wasn't what I was planning to ask.I wanted to know what Queen likes to eat"

"Oh I see...You wanted to know what he likes to eat.Queen is a good boy,so he will like whatever your majesty gives him "

"What?But-"

Before I could ask him anything else, Prince Heinley turned away to leave

"I must go and send Queen off"

"Oh I see"

Then don't blame me for what I'm about to give Queen

I'll just treat him as the bird that he is

*
*
*

When I returned to my room, I opened the window so Queen could enter when he arrived.

I called Artina to bring me a plate of caterpillars.

As my guard, Sir Artina was often with me and had known about Queen.

Finally, Sir Artina returned with a wooden plate and set it down on the table. It was full of plump, squirming larvae.

"Are you alright?"

I nodded automatically, but as soon as Sir Artina left

I grinned to myself

I had promised Prince Heinley that I would take care of Queen so I will.

A Bird Is a Bird

And I'll treat him as such

It's your fault for not being specific

I sat hunched on the bed and peeked at the table about five or six times to check whether the caterpillars had wriggled off the plate.

At last, Queen arrived. Instead of landing on the window sill, he flew gracefully through the open window and circled the room in a glorious sweep, his eyes on me as if to confirm that I was watching his majesty on display.

"Queen!"

After a brief circuit, he landed on my lap.I stroked his neck and back, and he gave a loud cry and wiggled his tail.

"You're incredible, Queen."

Queen raised a wing at the compliment then looked up at me with his glistening purple eyes and I thought it was now a good time to prepare the caterpillars, excited as I was. Once again I brushed his back and hugged him.

"I have a gift for you"

"Coo-"

His eyes were sparkling and looked expectant.

"Your master told me you'll eat anything,but I think he was lying"

I pulled Queen off me to the bed and stood up towards the table.I carried the plate of the larvae and brought it to him with a smile

"So I brought you something that large,magnificent birds like you generally like to eat."

I set it right in front of him.

"Look,I brought insects"

I picked up a plump caterpillar with a pair of tweezers

"Here you go,Queen.Open wide!"

Queen pulled away, his eyes blinking wildly.He drew even further backwards and refused to eat.

I jerked my hand and got the caterpillar right in front of Queen's face. The caterpillar suddenly wriggled, then slipped from the tweezers and landed on Queen's head.

"Squawk!"

Queen leapt up with a shriek.

"What's wrong Queen?"

Surprised, I tried to catch him, but he was hopping everywhere like crazy. Queen leapt out the window, caterpillar still attached to his head, and flew away and finally disappeared.

Did I go too far?

But still...

It was a bit funny to see him realize the situation he's in

With this,he'd definitely be more specific when talking with me