Harry Potter - Burn the Future

A Harry Potter Fanfiction

***

Summary

Nothing formal at this point.

***

Yeah, another Time Travel Fic idea. A Tomione one, this time. Could be fun. Right?

Hermione ends up in the past - First Wizarding War Era - only to discover shortly after her arrival in the past that things aren't quite adding up to the history she remembers learning about during her Hogwarts years, especially when it comes to the existence of the Dark Lord's secretive and mysterious Lady.

A lady who very, very strongly resembles an older Hermione.... >:) 

Cue another Time Jump backward.

Just, please don't ask me about the logistics of the time travel in this one. It's kind of a demon hybrid of loop/cyclic and alternate timeline. I really don't 100% know...let's just pin it on 'magic' and leave it at that, yeah?

***

Excerpt

The wool of the blanket draped over her shoulders itched against the skin of her neck and cheeks, but Hermione was far too chilled where she huddled beneath it, curling around the mug of hot chocolate someone had pressed into her icy hands. Not that the blanket nor the tea were accomplishing much. The chill went far deeper.

A side effect of dementor exposure, among other factors.

She felt utterly numb. Detached. For once her thoughts were eerily silent.

Shock, she had heard those around her murmur more than once.

Shock indeed.

Everything had gone wrong. So very, very wrong.

They'd been so close to grabbing the locket. But the instant Harry had lunged for Umbridge, her patronus had failed.

Then? Chaos.

The dementors had swarmed. If there was one small, silver lining to the disaster that had come of their tattered plans, was that as Harry had shoved her ahead of him out of the courtroom, she'd heard Umbridge's shrieks abruptly die before he'd slammed the door shut behind them.

Not that it had done them much good.

She still wasn't entirely sure how they'd found themselves in the Department of Mysteries—their desperate bid for freedom saw them ducking through corridors and halls as each clear avenue was cut off by dementors and aurors and Death Eaters alike—but the last thing she remembered after being separated from Harry by the dementors was Dolohov's furious rictus and a flash of the same purple flames from her nightmares when he cornered her in the...

...the Time Room...

The mug fell to the floor with a dull crack.

"It would seem you understand the gravity then as well, Miss Granger." Hermione started, her attention snapping around to her once and former Headmaster.

Her very much not dead former headmaster.

Yes, the suddenly impossible faces that she'd found herself surrounded by made perfect sense.

She hadn't quite believed them when she'd been assured she wasn't dead—even the battle she'd landed in the middle of hadn't quite disabused her of that notion. It would've been just her luck to end up in a purgatory where the war that had consumed her life since she'd entered the magical world still raged on.

Well, apparently that wasn't the case.

She believed now.

Albus Dumbledore was studying her carefully over the glimmering rims of his half-moon spectacles, a veneer of sympathetic concern overlaying what she belatedly realized was calculation.

She suddenly regretted being so lost in her own thoughts that she'd missed the preceding conversation.

Not that his statement was any less relevant to her own private realization.