Harry Potter - Sirius/Lily

A Harry Potter Fanfiction

***

Summary

What if, in his impatience, Voldemort hadn't bothered to kill Lily, just swept her aside? What if James had his wand? What if James' sacrifice was enough? 

What if Lily had lived?

***

And this one I'm blaming on The Shrieking Shack Society... it's a 'Lily Lives' story that will ultimately become a Lily/Sirius story. I actually already have the prologue (or maybe first chapter...we're undecided) written up...but I need to focus on other stuff first, so it's queued...just like aaaaaalllllll the others.

This is another one that's a loooong way off. For one, there'll be a lot to work through. I mean...Lily living would naturally change soooo much.... But someone set the little plunny 'any Sirius/Lily stories out there?' loose in my head and in the space of half an hour the prologue came out. I have a rough idea of the beginning but that's it. Well, that and one little scene with Harry, Sirius, Ron and Hermione right as Lily realizes Sirius has done something he wasn't supposed to.... :P

So we'll see if this one ever happens.

***

Prologue

"Lily, take Harry and go! It's him! Go! Run! I'll hold him off—" Though terror was pounding in her veins, Lily didn't hesitate. With a final glance to her husband, she was bolting up the stair, racing to Harry's room where she could hear his first babbling cries; James' shout and the sound of the door being blasted open had woken their little boy.

A small, detached part of her mused irritably that they'd just gotten the toddler down to sleep after James had wound him up with one too many silly games just before bed. But a far larger part pushed that thought away with dread and the first threads of grief.

Deep down, she knew they were about to die.

There was no escape. The Anti-Apparition wards Dumbledore had put up as a security measure meant she couldn't simply take Harry and go, and she knew she couldn't run. She could fight—James had fought—but she knew it would be futile.

And no one survived once Voldemort decided to kill them.

Her chest clenched as her vibrant green eyes fell on her son. Harry looked up to her, sleepy eyes wide and bewildered at being startled awake, the beginnings of tears glimmering in the corners of his equally vibrant green eyes.

She slammed the door shut behind her, muttering every locking spell she could think of, hoping that they might give her an extra second that she could use to save her son's life. That was all that mattered.

Harry.

As she quickly layered the last spell over the door, the muffled shouts she heard from downstairs fell abruptly silent, a dull green flare of light visible through the slit beneath the door. Lily choked back a sob that tried to claw its way up her throat.

There was no mistaking what that horrid flash meant.

She turned to Harry. He just watched her curiously, not understanding what had just happened downstairs. Another sob tried to claw its way from her chest.

But Lily forced it back. Now was not the time.

She could grieve later...if she survived.

She and James had spoken about this at length. What to do if Voldemort managed to find them, if he somehow got past the Fidelus Charm. Her thoughts tried to side-track at that thought, a searing, spike of pure rage stabbing through her as it hit her what Voldemort knowing the Secret meant. But she forcibly shoved that thought away too; something else to leave until after.