Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire - Rhaenys Lives

A Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire Fanfiction

***

Summary

Rhaenys Targaryen remembered very little of her life before. Not as much as Viserys remembered, but certainly more than Daenerys did. She remembered her parents, and her gentle grandmother and cruel grandfather, but she barely remembered Westeros. She could hardly remember the Red Keep or Dragonstone. It all felt like a dream, one that, like sand, slipped through her fingers a little more with each passing year. 

But like her cousins, a fire burned in her breast for home. For her birthright. A fire that would temper Rhaenys and sustain her through hardship and pain. 

And together with Daenerys, she intended to embrace the dragon she was.

To take back the Iron Throne with Fire and Blood.

A story where it's not Aegon, son of Rhaegar, who survived the Sack of King's Landing, but his sister, Rhaenys.

***

Yup. Another idea. I know, I'm crazy. Nothing new there. This one will likely be show-verse with a couple of book-verse (i.e. one of Rhaegar and Elia's children being secretly saved) ideas added in. 

This one will centre on the idea that, instead of Aegon being the one Varys and his little birds managed to secret away, it was Rhaenys. That she was sent to safety with Rhaella and young Viserys to Dragonstone and then on to the Free Cities with Viserys and baby Daenerys.

And from there, it will follow Rhaenys teaming up with Dany through the course of the series, enduring an ill-fated marriage to Viserys' while Dany was sold to Khal Drogo and onward in their journey to retake the Iron Throne.

***

Excerpt

"Dragon's eggs, from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai," the Magister explained with an air of affected awe, "The eons have turned them to stone, yet still they burn bright with beauty." He sketched a short bow to each of the three Targaryens. "And so I present them to you, in honour of your marriages. It is fate indeed, for there to be three eggs for the last three Dragons." Rhaenys met her Aunt's eye, only barely able to keep from hissing in pain at her new uncle-husband's suddenly painful grip on her arm.

They'd both seen how Viserys' eyes gleamed in his thin face.

And it frightened both of them.