Ancestry

An Original Work

***

Summary

Tia had always considered herself a rather plain, average and altogether unremarkable sort of girl growing up. To the point where she'd effectively been invisible all the way through high school. And she'd been alright with that, honestly.

So it's certainly an adjustment when her Ancestry wakes and she's suddenly learning how to deal with very much not being plain, average or altogether unremarkable. In fact, when she wants to, she finds that she possesses what's colloquially known as Allure—an ability shared by several Ancestries; Sirens, Succubi, Incubi, Satyrs, the list goes on—that she can turn on and off at will...mostly.

The only problem is, what exactly is she? 

***

Yet again, a very rough summary to go with a rough idea. But a fun one, nevertheless....I think, at least. This one comes out of post that was going around FB a little while back that muses on the idea that mythological beings (ie, mermaids, nymphs, sprites, werewolves, etc) did exist but have since died out, but not before interbreeding a little with humans and leaving some of their traits behind (ie, affinities for water, empathic sensitivities, knack for plants, better than average reflexes and balance, etc). And thus this idea developed...don't ask me how, it just did. 

So yeah, most, if not all characters will have some manner of mythological being in their ancestry that 'wakes' in early adulthood, leaving them with traits - both good and bad - belonging to said ancestors. I'm thinking, though, that we're going to be leaving out the 'big' beings (meaning werewolves, vampires, the fae as a society, those sorts of beings) since they have a lot of baggage and plenty of stories about them already. They may come in later, they may not, but for the time being, no major characters that I'm envisioning so far will be werewolves, vampires, or the fae as they are commonly portrayed (types of fae may appear, but again, that's heresay at this point).

***

Excerpt

"Oh, that's fun. Most of the time Allure is only effective on the opposite sex, regardless of which you're attracted to."

Tia frowned, looking to Brooke. "Then why aren't you affected?" Brooke shrugged.

"My Grandmother was at least part Succubus, so I've always had a decent immunity from Allure." They both looked to _____.

Like Brooke, he answered with a shrug.

"Not sure. I think my mum might've had some Siren? Though, I think she said my dad was part Satyr, so that might be a part of it too. Allure's never worked properly on me either." Seemed reasonable, something Brooke agreed with given the absent, considering way she nodded as he trailed off.

"You have any idea what you are?" Brooke asked, turning back to Tia. Tia scoffed, hands raising helplessly.

"I have no idea. You know I don't know who my dad is," she grumbled, sparing Brooke a brief, narrow-eyed look. "And mum's just a minor dryad; she's only got the plant thing." Brook frowned thoughtfully.

"Siren maybe? Or Nymph? Naiad?" Tia scoffed, waving off Brooke's suggestions.

"You know I don't like water enough...or much at all, really. And you know I can't sing well enough to be a Siren," Tia groused. She'd been kind of hoping for that, truthfully...

"Succubus, then? Yours certainly seems powerful enough."

Tia paused, considering. It was...possible, she supposed.