ten | somewhere

ten | SOMEWHERE
━━━━━━━━━━
I  N  D  R  A    F  O  R  E  S  T

Happiness wasn't something I received often. So, whenever I have a blissful moment, I play those memories in my head like a video, pressing the replay button over and over. Enjoyable moments like Beau and I, playing card games in a diner while eating food together.

"Speed." I shout for the fifth time today, ‌my‌ ‌laughter‌ ‌resonating throughout‌ ‌the‌ ‌diner. ‌As Beau groans in defeat, my face gleams. "You really suck." I reach over his side of the table, trying to grab one of his fries but he smacks my hand away. "Hey!"

"You ate almost all my fries already." He scrunches his eyebrows together as I sit back down in my seat. "You're eating my whole damn meal."

"Dude, you can't blame me, I love french fries." I state, collecting all the playing cards. "Want to play again?" His alarmingly vacant eyes glare at me, "I'll take that as a no." He nods, agreeing with my statement. I part my mouth to say something, but Dionne, ‌the waitress, comes up to us, ‌passes our check to us, ‌gives‌ ‌us‌ ‌a‌ ‌tight-lipped‌ ‌smile,‌ ‌and‌ ‌walks‌ ‌away. My attention focuses on Beau, who is digging in his pocket and slides out his wallet, glancing at the amount of money on the check.

I shove my hand into my back pocket, difficult at first, then drew out my small light blue wallet. Opening it, a French‌ ‌accent‌ ‌interrupts‌ ‌me. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Grabbing money to pay for my meal." My eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"No, I'm paying for your meal." He confirms, raising an eyebrow.

"No, I'm paying for my meal." I argue, pulling out the money from my pocket. "How much was my-"

Before I could finish my sentence, Beau places the money on top of the check and raises his hand, getting the waiter's attention. ‌As she paces towards our booth, Beau gives her the money and the check before she walks off. "Looks like you can't pay anymore." He points out, ‌and a grin spreads on his face. I ‌stare at him, holding his intense gaze.

He ‌inserts his hand into his jacket pocket and slides something out, his digital camera. "I want to do one more thing before we leave." He moves the camera to his eyes, looking at the screen on the camera. ‌As his index finger hovers over the shutter button, I quickly curl both sides of my lips, and then he pressed down to capture‌ ‌a‌ ‌picture‌ ‌of‌ ‌me. The bright flash coming after causes me to shut my eyelids.

"How about warning me before taking the picture?" I scold him as he twisted his hand, showing me the picture on the screen of the camera. It was me smiling, with my eyes closed shut. I wrinkle my nose in disgust, not liking the picture he took. Another flash caught my attention, "What the hell." He places his hand under the table, adoration painted on his face. "Why are you taking pictures of me?"

"Because I like taking pictures of beautiful things." He whispers, almost hard for me to hear. My face instantly heats up as he tucks his camera back into his jacket. "Come on, we're going somewhere else."

"Where are we going?" I ask as he slides out of the red booth.

"Somewhere." He says, sarcastically answering my question. ‌Still holding my ‌gaze, he leans against the side of the booth and crosses his muscular arms on his chest, waiting for me to slither out of my seat. "Are you going to move or...?" Before he could say anything else, I ‌step out of the booth and walk over to him. He reaches for his jacket in the booth and slips it on before we exited the diner.

The cold air kisses the ‌tenderness of my face, freezing up my cheeks, wanting to see the slight blush on them. My vision drift up to the gray skies that still covered the atmosphere, forcing the people on earth to discover the wonders of them. ‌The white puff of air that escapes my lips demonstrates how frigid the temperature is."Fuck, it's cold."

"Here." Beau places a soft cotton fabric on my head, possibly his black beanie. He adjusts the beanie to fit on my head. I forgot he stuffed his beanie inside his black jean jacket when we entered the bus early today. "To keep you warm." ‌He‌ ‌lightly taps my head ‌and‌ ‌walks‌ ‌in‌ ‌front‌ ‌of‌ ‌me‌ ‌as‌ ‌I‌ ‌follow behind‌ ‌him. "We just need to walk a little then we'll be there."

"What the hell are we doing here?" We're standing in front of a silver fence, grass on the other side. The sound of my question was the only noise heard in this silent street. A big red sign with a large red letter saying no trespassing. I point my index finger towards the sign, raising my eyebrow towards him. "We can't sneak in."

"Hell yea we can." Beau says, looking around the area to find something. He stops moving his head, "There." I glimpse at what Beau is focusing on. There is a large hole ripped in the silver fence. "That's how we're going to get in."

He moves towards the fence and ducks under it, fitting through the gap‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ barrier. He tilts his head up on the other side of the gate, telling me to hurry up. I groan, repeating his action. I walk in front of him, analyzing the place. Acres and acres of grass filled the area, with nothing else to be seen. The ruff surface of the grass rubs against my skin as I walk further down the ‌field. I scrunch my eyebrows together, maybe he is trying to kill me. I dig into my back pocket, grabbing my phone. I open it and shoot a quick text to Elosie about where I was, just in case I was gone for a couple of days.

"Don't walk too far." Beau shouts. I twirl around and drift my eyes down, seeing Beau laying on the ground with his hands behind his head. "Don't want to get lost, do we?" He fixes his eyes on gray skies with a pink tinge, indicating the sun was below‌‌ ‌‌the‌‌ ‌‌horizon. A darker view of the feathery clouds almost makes them appear like cotton balls. It almost seems as if the clouds are holding out their arms to assist us in escaping this world. Pacing towards him, I squat beside him, then fully sit down and stretch my legs out. We lay in comfortable silence, looking up at the orange and pink sky.

"It's beautiful out." I whisper, breaking the silence. "It's pleasant to see something like this since I don't go out much."

"Why don't you go out often?" He asks, and I feel his arm shift a little.

"Because I'm protecting myself from the ‌harsh realities of the world." I confess. A ‌part‌ ‌of‌ ‌the wall that surrounds me and protects me from another that could harm me is beginning to crumble. I scoot closer to him, resting my head on top of his forearm. "Is this okay?"

"Yea." He breathes out, stretching out his arm on the grass for me to get comfortable. We chatted a bit; I talked mostly, and he listened as I spoke. He carefully slips his hand from under my head when we were silent, lifting his upper body up. His arms wrap around his knee, pulling his legs closer to his body.

He breathes out air into the earth's atmosphere. ‌ I ‌raise my upper body up and move towards him, trying to see if he is okay. "Are you okay?"

"Yea, it's just one of those days." He chuckles, not in enjoyment. "I just feel like a piece of my soul seems to be searching around the world, seeking‌ ‌something‌ ‌to‌ ‌fill‌ ‌the‌ ‌void‌ ‌in‌ ‌my‌ ‌heart." He takes a deep breath, "And it's the fact that I think I deserve something to fill in that hole."

I just sit next to him and listen to every word that comes out of his mouth, not wanting to say anything wrong. I scoot closer to him, resting my head on his shoulder. We sit there for a couple of minutes before a sound of thunder causes both Beau and I to jump.

"Shit, it's about to rain." Beau states, and small drops of water splash on ‌our‌ ‌faces. "We need to go before we get soaked." He jumps to his feet as the liquid from the sky starts to pour on us. He sketches his arm out, and I connect my hands with his. He pulls me to my feet and instantly drags me to the fence. My light brown hair becomes slick because of the water, the beanie I was wearing is wet, and my hoodie sticks to my body. Our laughter become music to my ears as we run to the gate, enjoying the droplets on our skins, submerging deep into our soul like it's needs to be cleanse.

I'm definitely going to be sick by tomorrow.

━━━━━━━━━━

never mind, this is my favorite chapter <3

I have like three weeks of school left, but I have final projects due in like two weeks, so updates might be slow. :(

anyways have a nice day/night and be safe <3