Tamatar and Tamatar

Prem answered another call as he held a few bags and looked around for his wife. She seemed to be enjoying her day out.

"Haan, Rohan tu dekh le woh documents. Maine contract check kar lia hai.." Prem sighed as he shook his head disconnecting the line.

It was barely a couple of minutes and it was another call. "Ji Papa... haan.. maine dekh liya hai.. Rohan se baat huwi hai meri.. aapko woh send kar dega and aapki verification ke baad maine qoute kar doonga... ek minute" He handed the money to a vendor and added, "chutte nahi chaiyye.. rakh li jiye..."

"Tu hai kahan.. itna shor..."

"Main bahar tha Papa.. aapko ghar jaa kar call karta hoon.."

"Aisa kahan bahar hai tu.. jo itna shor hai.. ek minute.. tere peeche koi aloo tamatar bech raha hai.. aur lauki.. gaajar bhi... kisko chutte de raha hai.. tu hai kahan..."

"Main.. Woh.. Sunday Bazaar mein hoon... hisaab dekh raha tha.."

Pritam Uncle sounded astonished, "tu ne yeh kaam kab se shuru kia.."

"Maine nahi... woh..."

"Aapne kaddu aur gaajar liye... woh tamatar bhi pack karwa diye the..." Preeti walked up and Pritam Uncle asked him astonished, "Prem tu..."

"Papa main shopping aaya tha.. aapko ghar jaa kar call karta hoon.."

Prem smiled as he disconnected the call. "Sab le liya.. aur kuch..."

"Nahi.. Chalien..." Preeti smiled at him and he held her hand as they walked back to the parking lot.

The morning was good. He had been woken up by his wife and cuddled her for an hour, before they had breakfast and then she had asked him out to the local Sabji Mandi she had heard of and wanted to see.

Not the perfect date set up, but the visit had been interesting. Never having shopped for Sabzi themselves, this was a new experience for both.

Preeti had been like a kid in a candy store as she had checked out so much and he had watched her asking around the market. Despite that, she knew what she wanted and exactly how much.

She may have been nervous initially but she knew her way around for a first timer. Maybe her shopping skills with Sangeeta of those days were bailing her out, he smiled. He could still hear her saying, "bhaiyya, yeh chaandi ki baaliyan hain.. sone ka bhav kaun lagata hai..."

He was not somebody who bargained. If he could afford it then he would buy it for that price, and let the vendors make their margin, and Preeti looked at him. "100 ki sabzian 500 mein nahi lee jaati.. they give that price kyun ke they know aap bargain karoge..."

He had let her continue as he walked around attending phonecalls and holding bags for her. All he thought was, she had planned for a great week of meals with all that she was buying. He had no idea she loved being a homemaker that much. Was it home making or him. Most of the vegetables were what he preferred.

They reached their car and he opened the boot. "Tum aage chalo main rakh deta hoon..." and she smiled as he kept the bags when a small boy came up. "Saab ji... aapke  Tamatar ke thayle tayyar hai..."

"Laaoo..." he smiled as he took the bag and Preeti raised her eyes.

The boy left with a smile and Preeti looked at him. "Itne Tamater..."

"Woh uske paas bach gayi ziada.. tho maine le li.."

"Yeh hi poora hafta bhi khayenge tho khatam nahi honge." she pulled his cheek.

"Rahul ko bhi khilayen tho.."

"Phir bhi nahi... sirf tamatar kaun khata hai.." she looked at him and he pulled her hand.