Chapter 18

Preeti walked to her cabin after a long day attending an emergency. She sighed as she switched on her phone. It had 6 missed calls from Prem. Her shopping was almost coming to an end. Most of the stuff was done and it was end November before she knew it.

It was also a straight 12 days without him and although they still spoke every night, the missing of physical presence existed and her heart raced as she saw his picture on her desk as she prepared to leave for home.

****

Prem's schedule had been crazy too. Work had consumed him completely and the only reprieve was his love. He looked forward to nights when he could just hear her. It relieved him of pressure and relaxed him as he discussed random stuff with her. He couldn't wait to have her with him, as they discussed their days with his head on her lap and her fingers in his hair.

It had been close to 2 weeks, he smiled to himself as he drove to Mumbai. "Bohat huwa Jaan, kaam ka bahana hi sahi, aaj dopahar bas tumhare saath hi hogi..." he told himself. It was a surprise.

The morning became noon and noon was night, the only message he received from Preeti when he reached Mumbai was, "In Emergency, Phone will be Off... "If Urgent Pls Contact Hospital Front Desk."

That was her standard message when in emergencies but he hadn't expected it today, and not for that long. The day was over and he was back at work from evening, attending and meeting people he had to. That would last late night.

****

"Papa, bhaiyya, aap yeh dekh lein, aur Vinod woh Marketing report dekh le. Main chalta hoon Papa, raaste mein Pritam Uncle ke office jaaonga, wahan se Rahul ke client ke paas aur phir waapis..." Prem sighed. It was 6:30pm and he was home discussing project details while speaking to Pritam Uncle to confirm the same.

"Prem tu khana kha kar jaa beta..." His Maa entered the study and he shook his head as Pritam uncle said "beta main abhi office mein nahi hoon. Mujhe 2 hours lagenge... Tu meeting khatam kar ke ghar hi aaja. Saath dinner bhi kar lenge aur kaam bhi kar lenge."

He asked his Papa and they all smiled. "Beta iss mein poochna kya hai... kaam bhi ho jaaye ga..."

Prem agreed almost choking as Pritam Uncle whispered, "aur tera extra ki balcony mehnat bhi bachegi... kyun?"

"Kya huwa Prem," Maa asked and he shook his head as he cleared his throat smiling.

*****

Preeti came home at 9pm. She was terribly late and rushed in. "Sorry Papa, bas 5 minutes mein aati hoon, aaj bohat der ho gayi" she dashed in as her Papa smiled.

Climbing up, she wished she had the time to return his calls but she knew her Papa would be waiting for dinner. A whiff of his cologne hit her senses on the first floor landing and she inhaled it with closed eyes crossing over to her room. "Itni yaad aaye tumhari ke saason mein bass jao... galat baat hai..." she whispered as she entered her room.

*****

Prem walked down to the dining area after freshening up. "Aaja Prem... Preeti bhi aa gayi abhi bas, khane baithte hain..." Pritam uncle smiled as he sat.

How could he not know she had arrived. He could feel her steps and he had hoped to surprise her when he heard her whisper just outside his door. She recognized his scent, his ehsaas. She had missed him just as bad. But now he was anticipating her reaction seeing him here.

A clearing of throat brought him from his thoughts as Pritam Uncle smiled. "Tere chehre ki bechaini uska intezaar kar rahi hai aur uski jald baazi keh gayi usse tere aane ki khabar nahi hai... kya chal raha hai?"