Suno Na...

"Preeti... baat tho suno meri..."

"Sunn rahi hoon.."

"Idhar dekho na.."

"Dekh rahi hoon..."

"Preeti, I am sorry.. meri baat suno na.. dant lo.. gussa karlo par.. par aise chup nahi raho.."

"Aapki baat sunn rahi hoon.. par aapko iss waqt araam ki zaroorat hai.. soo jaiyye.."

"Aise... bina tumhare.."

She looked at him and his eyes lowered. She adjusted his pillows and helped him lie down and as she switched off the lights in the room before she left the room.

It had been 3 days. He was back home today and she was as distant as she had been when he opened his eyes at the hospital.

She was within her right to be angry. He had been careless and this was something he could have avoided, now that he thought of it. He was no trained action hero, despite his physique and this was downright reckless of him.

The situation had been under control, every point was covered. He just hadn't expected the gunshot and he had been lucky it had only grazed him across the shoulder as he dived in.

He knew she had been terrified but it was something he could not have avoided. Just that he should have been more prepared than lung out himself. He had under estimated the situation.

Well, all was well thankfully and he would recover soon. But Preeti was troubled, she was angry and her silence was killing him.

She could shout, yell and take out her anger but she was quiet.

Her eyes at the hospital, red and bloodshot, the relief that crossed her face as the doctor cleared him out of danger and the formal behaviour after that.

The hospital was too crowded to have a conversation with her despite his best efforts and the nights were with him being drowsy due to medicines.

They arrived home and she propped him into bed and his friends were by his side till late night. He couldn't wait for some alone time to speak to her.

And now she was gone. Out of the room leaving him in bed.

*****

He waited till he could hear her working around the kitchen and then he found no noise.

"Preeti..." called out and no answer. Not once, not twice and he decided he would have to go down to call her.

He was about to step out and winced in pain as he tried to hold himself when he felt her hold him.

"Kisne kaha uthhna hai aapko.."

"Tumne jawab nahi dia.. bulane aa raha the tumhe.." he made a face and she shook her head. "Phone aapke paas hai.. kuch kaam hai tho call kar lete.."

She helped him back to bed. "Kya baat hai..."

"Need nahi aati tumhare bina.. tumhe pata hai na..."

She sat next to him and smoothed his hair. "Soo jao.."

"Aise... tumse itni door.."

She looked at him and he sat up, and winced in pain. She tried to help him but he shook his head as he held her hand.

"I am sorry Preeti.. mujhe yeh nahi karna chaiyye tha.. tumhara gussa karne ka haq hai.. mujhe daanto, maaro.. shikayat karo.. kuch bhi karo.. mujhse door matt raho.."

"Kya kahoon aapse.."

"Mujhse galati huwi hai Preeti.."

"Aur yeh woh galati hai jo aap dobara karne se pehle sochenge nahi.. yeh bhi jaanti hoon..."