28 • Now or Never •

It had been ages since mother and daughter bonded carefree; the happy days, but today when they met Iravati felt nothing

It had been ages since mother and daughter bonded carefree; the happy days, but today when they met Iravati felt nothing. The emotional connection was long gone. She had felt no emotion even a year ago when Ambika informed them about her baby. For the first time, she visited Ambika's place, hoping to find her youngest daughter. It overjoyed Ambika to see her mother, but her happiness was short-lived. Iravati didn't bother to even glance at her grandchild, a boy- Garv. She knew if she did, she might melt and Iravati Devi couldn't afford to soften.

After meeting her eldest daughter, Iravati realized she didn't know Anahita's whereabout. But Iravati didn't like the rebellious glint in Ambika's eyes and her sarcastic laugh after knowing about Anahita gone missing. This fuelled the angst that was already brewing inside her. She needed to get Anahita married. The earliest she gets rid of this burden and responsibility, the better.

Iravati's hand shivered badly as she dug her hands into her purse and pulled out a cigarette box, - "This girl will be the death of me." She lit her cigarette, walking towards her car and took puffs. She made sure she worn simple cotton saree, over-sized sunglasses and a floral scarf to cover her identity. She even left her hands and neck bare of any jewellery, and made sure the driver parked her car as far as that would be easy for her to walk.

Upon reaching home, a servant met her and handed her a letter. She opened it and was shocked to see it was from Anahita. She threatened to know who delivered it. But he had no clue. The postman didn't mention nor did he ask. Iravati fanatically checked the address, but nothing.

Wasting no more time, Iravati hurried to her husband's room. The door was slightly ajar and she could hear him and Leela talking. Ever since Leela has come here, she doesn't leave Prathuman even for a second.

"But Leela, we can't just keep sitting and do nothing. My daughter is missing. God Knows, where she could be." Came his worried voice.

"I understand, Jaan. Already people are talking in hush voices about Anahita missing. Some are saying she eloped with her lover and—if we go to police, we will only make those voices louder." She spoke in the sweetest of voice.

There was silence for a moment, - "Anahita did wrong. She shouldn't have run like this."

"It is Iravati's fault."- Prathuman spoke bluntly, and this increased Iravati's BP, - "First, she can't control and train her daughters. Second, if Anahita wasn't willing to marry this man, then she shouldn't have pressurized her. Now, see. If the gossip spreads, who will marry her? I can't keep an unmarried daughter on my head forever."

Iravati crumbled the paper in her fist and angrily stormed away. Anahita has brought shame to her, like Ambika did. But was she alone to blame? Prathuman had spoilt her by pampering her. She listened to him more than her. Iravati's sources had found Nausheen attending the classes, but nothing on Anahita. And Nausheen seemed to not know about her.

"Did the earth or the sky swallowed her. She has to be in Jaipur. Where can she be?" Iravati's heart raced with fear as she imagined the worse.

 Where can she be?" Iravati's heart raced with fear as she imagined the worse