48 • Starting a Family •

Jayanta's behavior towards Anahita changed after that day

Jayanta's behavior towards Anahita changed after that day. For the next few weeks, Manyata made Abhaiveer meet young childless women to show them their plight. He realized they had a tough life. Apart from their in-laws, even society held prejudges against them. And few men from the Muslim community even took second wives who would bear their heir. The other men kept mistresses, adopting the child from them. The woman without a child would be looked down as flawed. Manyata kept reminding him that Anahita will meet the same fate.

"Now, even I think she is infertile. First Iravati gave us a stained woman, now, we find out she is baanjh too."

Anahita got back to her shell. She had relaxed a little, liking the adjustment, but now it was back to square one. With the gossip getting out, even the servants got bolder.

Once, as Anahita and Dhani strolled in the hallway of the Haveli, they overheard two maids gossiping. They didn't even bother to be hush-hush.

"I have heard that once a woman aborts a fetus, she becomes infertile."

"Hawww, really? Do you think Malkin aborted?

"Possible. Arey, that Muslim lover of hers. Pakka, she aborted his child. That is why she is infertile now. Poor Chote Malik."

"Shh, Kanta, what nonsense are you talking about?"

"Me? Sujata, the whole town knows about her affair. Now, if anyone keeps lovers, isn't it obvious there has to be something physical between them? All these affairs are lust. Only marriage is pure."

Dhani marched towards them, but Anahita held her arm. She was in tears, but she wanted no more tamasha of her love.

"Forgive me, Annie. But you must forget about Vakil Sahib and plan a family with Malik. Please."

Anahita shook her head, - "I cannot. I cannot. I am sorry. I want to be normal with Abhay, everything. But this—it's distressing." She cried.

Dhani couldn't take any more nonsense and complain to Abhaiveer. It surprised Anahita to learn that the two maids were no longer working in the Singhania Haveli. And, her friend had a grin in reply to her query.