33 • Lioness and her cub •

"What are you saying, Prathuman?" Ijaz was stunned by this development

"Now, he is done for."- He roared through the phone. Prathuman had to part the receiver a little from his ear, - "How dare he talk to you with disrespect? Why didn't you shoot him right away? That—I can't even curse him. He is my first-born son, after all. Prathuman, I am truly ashamed, my friend." His voice softened towards the end.

The first thing Prathuman did upon his return to haveli was call Ijaz, and he poured out everything with graphic details. After the call, he fell back against the long back chair. A suffocating silence filled the study. He opened his eyes and picked up the photo frame with Anahita's photograph in it. There were four photo frames on his table, with three out of four being of his daughter.

"Why did you behave this way, my child? Haven't I loved you enough? I always prioritized you and—how to prove to you I care?" He blinked back his tears, admiring the photograph and reminiscing about their past. A knock at the door startled him. He sniffed and quickly wiped his tears, placing the photo frame back.

Prathuman cleared his throat, - "Come in." He placed his hands on the arm-rest. Leela walked in with a cup and saucer in her hand.

He tried best put up a brave face and not leave any remanent of his tears. Men don't cry.

"Darjeeling tea with cardamom and ginger. Your favourite, and it will calm you." Leela smiled, placing it on the table. Then she looked at him and frowned.

"Don't think much. If someone doesn't value you. Let go of the toxic relationship." She suggested sweetly.

Prathuman sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, - "Am I such a terrible father? Both my daughters betrayed me. I had more expectations from Anahita and she did worse."

"Ji, it is not your fault." She stroked his shoulders, - "Look at Gagan and Naman, aren't they fine boys? It is never the father's fault. His duty is to financially provide for his family and take care of their needs, which you have done perfectly, darling. The mother handles the child's upbringing. But Iravati—I think she was more bothered about her kitty parties, and showing off among her friends than training her girls. The result is in front of you. Now, it seems like it is too late." She paused, - "These photographs I found in your youngest daughter's room." She pulled out the first drawer and took some photographs.