45 • Accepting •

The ambience of the college was still the same, but it pricked Anahita

The ambience of the college was still the same, but it pricked Anahita. She recollected her moments of happiness as she glided down the fleets of stairs, and then when it shattered. Anahita stopped at the end and was about to take a step when someone clad in a saree stood next to her. She got the whiff of their familiar perfume and turned her head to face the woman.

"Nausheen!"- She said in a small voice.

The sullen look on her face made it appear longer than it really was. Her eyes reflected sadness from Anahita's. Instantly, she felt hot tears in her eyes. Anahita blinked twice. Her friend wasn't able to keep her emotions, and she leaped forward, taking her in a bear hug.

Anahita clenched her fingers, trying hard to not cry as Nausheen sobbed in her ear. Taking a moment, she reciprocated to the embrace.

"How are you, my jaan?" Nausheen whispered.

Anahita's throat felt constructed. She swallowed the painful lump and managed to promptly

nod.

"How—is—"

Nausheen broke apart, - "Bhaijaan?"
Anahita looked away.

"He has requested me to not tell you where he was going?"- She wiped her nose from the corner of her pastel pink silk saree, - "But I can't—"

"Then don't. Just tell me if he is fine."

Nausheen closed her eyes, shaking her head, - "He isn't. Father found out about all this. He was furious. Your separation, already shattered Bhaijaan, just then father dropped the news of his third marriage. And he was brutal with Bhaijaan... He thinks his son shouldn't have messed with his best friend's daughter. He called him names and what not? It was terrible, Anahita."

She sniffed, and kept fidgeting with her fingers, - "Husna Baji broke her alliance. She and—even I—we want Bhaijaan to marry her. We are about to convince Dadijaan. Anahita, I am sorry. I know it will hurt you and you will feel like I back-stabbed you. But—all I want is you and Bhaijaan to find happiness." After she spoke, she exploded into another fit of crying.

Anahita felt a stab for sure, but it wasn't as intense as it used to be. She thought sadly; she has no rights to be jealous of Husna and Asif. In fact, she wants them to be married. He deserves a good life.