31 • Brewing Trouble •

Leela wasn't a village Belle anymore

Leela wasn't a village Belle anymore. She observed and adapted to the city culture. She managed to make her place in the circle of elite women. Prathuman gave her the opening, and she took the opportunity. People termed her shrewd opportunist, even seductive. Those were negative attributes, but for a person like her who was orphaned as a toddler, these were her survival skills. They helped her maneuverer her life and keep herself safe from dangerous and perverted men on a prowl for a vulnerable young girl like herself.

When she found Prathuman; a rich gentleman smitten by her, she saw her best chance to escape the life as a street dancer. He was the only man she met who didn't ogle at her body but appreciated her talent. Being a girl having years of experience dealing with and shooing lustful men, she recognized her genuine admirer. She captured his attention, then she conquered his heart. After years of being his mistress, patiently, she waited for him to marry her. And now, when she made a secure spot for herself and her sons, the risks are higher. Leela wanted to eliminate any competitor competing for Prathuman's love, anyone who threatened her security. Iravati was easy to side-line, Anahita was still the barrier. By running away, she gave Leela an open field, and she was well exploiting it.

Leela hired a detective Kaushal Raj to find and keep track of Anahita. He told her everything but didn't have any evidence. But this time, he knew for sure that he will get the proof. For that, Leela brought Prathuman to the Jaipur club, polo grounds. As luck had it, Prathuman spotted his daughter in the parking area itself. Leela couldn't be happier.

Anahita, dressed in ombre brown shirt and matching high waist placid trousers, was with Asif, Nausheen and the other man she recollected to be Shoaib. Prathuman clenched his fists. Leela coaxed him to return with her, but he refused.

- "I want to see how happy she is after dumping us." He sneered. Leela smiled.

Anahita was super excited to watch Asif play Polo. Though he played a few times, this is the first match that she was attending. Today was also the first time she wore a "western" / "Modern" clothes in public. She kept checking her knotted hair bun that rested on her nape, or kept tugging on her pearl earring. Few times she glanced at her friend, Nausheen, dressed in the same but in mint green. Her friend was carefree, talking to her husband. The two walked hand in hand. Anahita smiled at the sight- what a perfect couple.

"I am the one playing, yet you are the one who is nervous." Asif chirped from behind her, making her flinch. She blinked rapidly, her hand traveling to her bun again. He shrugged at her.

"I am not nervous about your performance, you will play well. I am just—"

"This is the first time I am playing with you watching me, so, I am afraid I might mess up." He talked while moving his hands around. He was definitely nervous. Anahita smiled at his actions.

"Why?"

"To impress you, of course. I am more conscious."

Anahita reached out for his hand, but he glanced around. She held his hand, slowly lacing her fingers with his.