34 • Will you Marry me? •

Rang thhe, noor tha

Jab kareeb tu tha

Ek jannat sa tha, yeh jahaan

Waqt ki ret pe kuch mere naam sa
Likh ke chhod gaya tu kahaan

Hamari adhuri kahani❞

Waqt ki ret pe kuch mere naam saLikh ke chhod gaya tu kahaanHamari adhuri kahani❞

Anahita jerked into sitting straight, frowning at him. Asif flinched, retracting a little back.

"What do you mean? Am I doing time passes with you?"

He was patient, - "I understand. I wanted you to say it with your own mouth."- He paused again, - "Are you sure?"

She kept glaring at him. He hesitated as he went on, - "I mean, you and me, we are young and in the heat of the moment we decide to marry and then regret—not that we regret loving each other, because I can never regret that. Just regret being married."

"So? You want us to marry other people and live a loveless marriage. Weren't you the one who asked me about being married to a stranger?" She scrutinized him with her eyes,

- "Are you having second thoughts?" She added, pointing a finger at him. Already, Anahita was dull and angry. He was adding fuel to her dying rage.

"No. But, look, Anahita. I don't want you to, even for a second, doubt or compromise. That is why I am asking beforehand. All this needs to be discussed. And as it is, ours is a special case."

She exhaled deeply, slumping back into her chair and thought. Asif gave her time, meanwhile he munched on a gum.

After a brief silence, she spoke, - "What have you thought?"

Asif leaned against his chair and stared at the sky, - "I want to marry you, of course. And as a man, I need not ask anyone's permission, except, of course, the girl." He chuckled lightly.

"Lucky you!" Anahita groaned.

"Only when you are my wife." He confessed.

She turned her head and their gaze met. He smiled kindly, his grey-blue eyes twinkled.

Anahita let out a small chuckle, - "You are so cheesy." She playfully slapped his arm, and he grinned, leaning forward and resting his weight on his right arm as he looked closely at her.

"Zahe-e-Naseeb,"- He held his heart and whispered a sigh. Anahita covered her mouth to suppress her smile. She was glad he broke the tension.

Asif pulled back his chair and got up, - "Will you come with me, Anahita?"